Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's glue is my new best friend!! >

Elmer's glue is my new best friend!!

Elmer's glue is my new best friend!!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 AM

[QUOTE=auntpiggylpn;5811547]Just so you know... ALL of those treats that are made in China have been recalled. I believe it came down early last week. Also, not just off brands are made in China, there are some well known brands that are manufactured in China also! I was shocked! My other half works in managment in a fairly large box store chain and told me about the recall.[/

Elmers glue has always been my "go to" glue since I was a kid. I prefer US homegrown on alot of things, but somethings I wont forget.......like the "recalls" on different US made medicines, baby food etc. Bottom line, I am not eating Elmers and I aint giving it up.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
Do you use a glue stick, a bottle of glue or spray glue? The one time I tried Elmer's Glue (in a bottle) even though I used a small amount it left the area looking wet and darker? I knew I was doing something wrong and did not try it again just hand stitched the applique the next time.
Be sure to use the Elmer's Glue that washes out. My daughter just gave me a set of plastic bottles with the small caps that control the flow of glue. You are able to put small dots of glue. Wish I had kept the carton with the brand name. However, I am sure that you can find them on the internet somewhere. Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess View Post
I never thought of glue for appliqué. So, how does it work, people? Seems like it would be less expensive and less messy than fusible. Who's used it? Chime in!
I did take an appliqué class where we used glue to hold our pieces down. Just a little dribble not enough to turn it into decoupage!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Faye View Post
I use Elmer's School Glue for my bindings and when doing blocks QAYG. I only put small dots and then use my iron to set it. It's also great for matching the seams before I sew them together. I also have Roxanne's but use it for my applique. I sometimes use the glue sticks for my paper piecing. I hate using pins.
Seam matching...that's a great idea.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
Just a FYI - Elmer's Glue - according to my bottle is made in China while my Roxanne Temporary Basting Glue is made in the US. Just sayin......
Another post pointed out Elmer's school glue is made in USA. I use it, and I'll buy this glue anytime over Roxanne's glue which costs close to $10.00 for two ounces the last time I looked.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM

Just a FYI - Elmer's Glue - according to my bottle is made in China while my Roxanne Temporary Basting Glue is made in the US. Just sayin......
My bottle of Elmer's School Glue says: Made in the USA. It's the bottle of Roxanne's Glue (at almost $10, that has the little tip on it. I just love it. It comes with two, and a little plastic piece to clean out that tube. But I found the glue just runs back into the bottle, and if I leave the bottle open too long and the tip dries up, a stick pin works very well to open it again.

The set of plastic bottles and, I think, seven different tips, is for sale here somewhere. My Roxanne's bottle will be refilled with Elmer's when it is empty.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-26-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I just glued patches on jeans today so I didn't have to fight pins while sewing. I'm a glue-holic.
OH'm'gosh! I never thought about using glue on my jeans patches. I replace the whole knee sections on work jeans, and have a heck of a time top stitching those patching in place. If I don't top-stitch, the fabric pulls out. Someone on here has a little saying about Picasso painting the garage, but when I am through with some of my patches, I feel like Picasso. A work of art!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 AM

I bought a set of metal tips and small squeeze bottles at Michaels. They were by the paint supplies-fabric paint, not craft paint. Package cost about $6.00 for two bottles,4 tips,4 metal things to clean out small metal tips and two large tips that fit the bottles. I like the tips a lot more than the Roxanne's as they are short and easier to unclog. The tips are different sizes,some so tiny that I wouldn't think the glue could get through.i won't be buying Roxanne's again.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Please, please, please, make sure you are using the Elmers School Glue - white - washable!! No gel, no color, no paste etc!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Where other than catalogs/online can one get Roxanne Temp Glue.....like the fact that it is temporary as opposed to Elmer.....that has to be washed out......