Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elmer's glue is my new BFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Wonder how long it'll take, for someone to market the exact same stuff, as "sewing" glue . . . only priced much, much higher, of course.
    That's already happened. Roxanne Glue-Baste-It does the same thing but costs more. The advantage is it comes with the thin metal tip like Sharon Schamber uses. I've found the regular container of Elmer's puts more glue on me than on the project but the thin metal tip is great. An alternative is an Elmer's Glue Pen. The only place I've been able to find it is Walmart's and the tip isn't as thin as the one on Roxanne's but is much neater than the regular Elmer's.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    That's already happened. Roxanne Glue-Baste-It does the same thing but costs more. The advantage is it comes with the thin metal tip like Sharon Schamber uses. I've found the regular container of Elmer's puts more glue on me than on the project but the thin metal tip is great. An alternative is an Elmer's Glue Pen. The only place I've been able to find it is Walmart's and the tip isn't as thin as the one on Roxanne's but is much neater than the regular Elmer's.
    Can you refill your thin tip bottle with Elmer's School Glue?

This thread has been very helpful!
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

I've learned two things: A little glue goes along way. Keep the lid on tight so the glue stick does not dry out (just like kindergarden)
    Carol

Would any water soluble glue work? We don't have Elmer's in my country as far as I know. I have used regular glue sticks successfully.

Who would ever thought quilters would be using glue! I use a glue stick to tack down pieces when I paper piece.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder about using glue. I am repairing some clothing for my SIL and several pieces are really stretchy, slippery knits. I botched one already, sewing it crooked. DUH! I completely forgot about the Elmer's.....

Yes indeed! I'm getting me some!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
    Would any water soluble glue work? We don't have Elmer's in my country as far as I know. I have used regular glue sticks successfully.
    I would try a glue that is as close to Elmer's School Glue as possible. It should be washable, acid free, nontoxic. Apparently Elmer's is made with starch and that's why it works best for us.
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    Glue sticks work the same way! I prefer them as there is less mess, and iron dry faster.
    Glue sticks are nice; however, they dry out too fast and cost more. If a bottle starts drying out you can just add a tiny bit of water - glue sticks don't play nice that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
    I would think so....pm your address and I'll be happy to mail you a couple of bottles of Elmer's School glue free !
    You will love it...

Wow...another use for school supplies. I'll have to add this to my arsenal (sewing stuff).
    Thanks for the tip...I am learning so much! Now if I just had the time to USE it.

Thank you so much for sharing this video again. I just finished a project where I should have used this method. Hopefully I'll remember it for my next one. What a great problem solver.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Roxanne's baste it and the tip is wonderful. I plan to use Elmer's washable school glue when the container is empty. I may have to thin it a bit with water.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Would it work on applique? It sounds like it would be easier than using fusible web.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    Glue sticks are nice; however, they dry out too fast and cost more. If a bottle starts drying out you can just add a tiny bit of water - glue sticks don't play nice that way.
    Try putting your glue sticks in a ziploc bag and keeping it in your fridge until you need them!!!!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I found some small, plastic bottles, with small tips. Can't remember . . . but got them from either Hobby Lobby or Amazon.com. I just refill, when needed.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoofly1 View Post
    Would it work on applique? It sounds like it would be easier than using fusible web.
    Would also like to know? If so I might actually try applique!

What an innovative idea.
    ABCDEFG

It's the neatest thing since sliced bread.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Just watched the video. This is truly awesome! I always hand stitch my binding and always poke myself and scratch myself with pins. Cannot wait to try it!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

I loved the Utube video and can't wait to try in on my next project.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

hi love this and thanks to all how do I put this in my bookmarks Please and Thank you........

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I found some small, plastic bottles, with small tips. Can't remember . . . but got them from either Hobby Lobby or Amazon.com. I just refill, when needed.
    the metal tips that sharon shamber uses are great but don't use pins to seal the opening, they rust. use a heavy piece of fishing line, raid hubbys tackle box. you can also use the plastic loops from price tags.

I just did an Amazon.com search and these are the little bottles, I bought. http://www.amazon.com/Darice-Needle-...lastic+bottles
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I have been using glue for a long time for basting small quilts and just recently decided to use it on a large quilt.
    I glued the various pieces of the blocks together before sewing, the glued the blocks for sewing, etc. Worked great and I love it. I went ahead and quilted it, added the binding which I sew on the front then hand stitch to the back. Just got it done, spread it out to look at the back and clip anything that needed clipping and much to my surprise noticed I had missed quilting on 3 large blocks. So, back to the machine to quilt. One of the blocks I decided I didn't press very well so in my close inspection I realized I hadn't even sewn it. The glue held so well I just didn't see it. I wasn't able to SITD on that block, not completely ITD but had to stitch just a hair off to catch the seam. I could have done an invisible applique type stitch I suppose, but it was at the end and I just wanted it done.
    The point of all this is, the glue was great. Thankfully I hadn't attempted washing it yet!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast