Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Elmer's Glue????

Elmer's Glue????

I heard some time back that one of the paper-backed fusibles was actually Elmer's Glue. Has anyone else heard that and do you know which brand it is?
    Kate

Never heard that claim before. I have used Heat n Bond lite for many years but never thought about who makes the fusible used in this product.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-10-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: remove ALL CAPS
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

There are only so many glue manufacturers. There isn't a manufacturing plant for every glue brand. I would think the manufacturer would make the glue products to fit the order. Same glue just different types of formulas per brand.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Never heard that, but it must be a different formula than the regular glue if it is. The liquid Elmer's glue I purchase would not work for heat n bond.

Sounds like another "urban myth". Of course, even Elmer's Glue comes in more than one variety -- check it out!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Elmers does have permanent glue, but cannot be used for washable fabric projects. The water soluble Elmers could never be used in fusibles, since it would wash out. This is a myth.

All a product company has to do is tell the manufacturer we want this type of glue on this product. Elmer's is a brand name.
    Anyway Elmer's is owned by Newell Rubbermaid. Who owns Rubbermaid, Sharpie, Papermate, Parker, Waterman, Graco, Calphalon, Goody, Lenox, and Levolor. Interesting.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 12-12-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of it. Take for instance freezer paper. many use it for a temporary fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Never heard of it. Take for instance freezer paper. many use it for a temporary fuse.
    I love Freezer paper. I make my own printable fabric with it and can use it several times, before I lose the sticky.

Never heard of it.
    Never heard of Stitch Witchery, Heat and Bond, Steam a Seam?

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    My guess is, if it's true, that paper backed fusible is Heat N Bond FEATHERWEIGHT. I love using it because it's even lighter weight than the Lite and is barely perceptible under raw edge applique, but . . .its impossible to use by ironing on a wrong side, then putting right sides of fabric together to sew and then turn right side out. Even a Teflon foot won't sew on that stuff.

It irons on very glossy looking. . .i can completely see how it could be glue
    Blessings,
    -Robin

https://quiltedorchid.com