Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Elmers School Glue Wait Time >
  • Elmers School Glue Wait Time

• Elmers School Glue Wait Time

Old 05-26-2024, 03:41 AM

Default Elmers School Glue Wait Time

I usually use 505 spray because it's quick and easy for me and hardly any wait time before I can get the pieces under the needle and quilt. But, so many on the board use Elmers, some with a drizzle fine tip and others with a sponge roller. My question is what is the wait time for drying before you can start quilting, and then do you still have to use quilting safety pins to baste?
    Old 05-26-2024, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

If I want to quilt as soon as the quilt is basted, I press after gluing. It evens out the glue spots if any. Evaporates all the water out of the glue so no wrinkles when drying. If a pucker or wrinkle use steam to loosen the glue to re position that spot. One time I changed my mine about the backing after it had been glued basted for weeks. I ironed glued basted another backing on top of the backing I didn't like. Worked great.
    Old 05-26-2024, 06:46 AM

The humidity in your home affects the drying time. In winter, I have to water my plants at least 2 times a week in the house, in summer, it is only once per week.
    Old 05-26-2024, 10:22 AM

I mostly glue baste now using watered down glue and an old, small paint brush. I try to put the backing on first in the morning and leave the quilt on my cutting table with the ceiling fan on. After lunch it's dried enough to glue the top to the batting. If I want to hurry the drying, I hit it with the iron. Sometimes, I use straight pins to secure the layers together, so they don't shift while drying. My quilts mostly go to Project Linus, and gluing is the way for me to go. Easier because I don't have to go outside and set up a separate table. Win, win!
    Old 05-26-2024, 12:08 PM
    Power Poster

I am never in a hurry - but I drizzle on for the backing first, flip it over and do the top, then let it sit usually overnight. In my house through all seasons it is dry by morning. Maybe by CT the middle of the night but I'm sleeping. I drizzle in a meander pattern or grid- I don't brush it or roll it. I use the small Elmers bottle and sometimes sit it in some hot water for a few minutes to help it flow better. I don't use pins at all.
    Old 05-26-2024, 12:27 PM

I water down the Elmer's school glue and spray it. I baste all the layers and let it sit overnight. It is ready for quilting the next AM. If I'm in a hurry, I iron it, I don't have water in my iron, so it's a dry iron, ready to stitch immediately.😃
    Old 05-26-2024, 01:34 PM

I mix Elmer's glue 50/50 with water, then brush it on with a basting brush, smoothing out each layer as I glue it, then spread it out on the floor to dry under the ceiling fan. I flip it over after 24 hours, usually plan on letting it dry for a total of 48 hours, though it may be done before then. I just use those two days of drying time to work on another project.
    Old 05-26-2024, 01:41 PM
    Power Poster

A glue roller is much easier.
    Old 05-27-2024, 11:55 AM

Onebyone, what brand is your glue roller? There's a plethora of them on line but not yours, which looks simple and easy to use.
    Thanks,
    Nanibi
    Old 05-27-2024, 11:57 AM

Onebyone, what brand is your glue roller. There are so many on line but not yours, which looks simple and easy to use.
    Thanks,
    Nanibi