Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Elmer's washable glue >
  • Elmer's washable glue

• Elmer's washable glue

Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by CookyIN
    A question from someone who's never worked with the glue: do you have to wash the piece when you're all done to remove the glue, or is it okay to just leave it in there?
    Yes, if you want to use the quilt. I think I've read on here that it wouldn't be necessary for wall hangings.

I use just the smallest amount of Glue when I glue baste. Like Milli says, little drops, really little, of the glue. It doesn't take much. I've done about 7 this way and love it. I usually let it dry overnight because that works for me, but will try the hair dryer just to see.
    Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 AM
    Power Poster

I glue the back to the batting, then turn and glue the top to the batting. I dilute the glue with a dollop of warm water and it streams out very thin. If I had to pin or sew baste I'd be doing it for a few hours so waiting an hour for the glue to dry is still saving time. I know I will never ever pin or sew baste anything bigger then a potholder.
    Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 AM

You may be using too much glue. I hold the tip of the glue bottle right next to the batting and run the thin, thin, thinnest line of glue about every 6 inches. The tip will often pick up a little bit of the batting which trails along and this is even better. I have never had to wait long to begin quilting.
    Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 AM

I have done about 6 or so quilts with washable glue and have never had to wait more than an hour for the glue to dry and start quilting. I start by laying down the batting and gluing down the top...wait about an hour then flip and do the same with the backside. I use the poly batting for most of my quilts, so ironing is out of the question, but I bet the blow dryer would help speed up the process! I don't think that I ever get to quilt undisturbed, so that hour of drying time is usually spent working on laundry, cooking supper, cleaning up the sewing room, etc. DH says I multi-task too much....LOL.
    Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 AM

I love this method and also the home made spray glue kind too. Patience is a virtue that I have learned with all aspects of quilting and these methods method have saved me hundreds of dollars, no messing around with basting pins and a secure sandwich when I do my FMQ. I always wash my quilts when they are finished and both methods come right out. I use the time in which a quilt is drying to decide on my next project and then start gather my thoughts and materials.
    Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

I hold the glue bottle up as high as I can and stream a fine line all over the top half of the batting, smooth the fabric on, then do the bottom half. Diluting the glue with a bit of water makes the glue easy to stream in fine lines. I have fun writing my name or the quilt receiver person's name in glue or doodling big designs with the glue. LOL