Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Elmer's Washable No Run School Glue in place of pins!

Elmer's Washable No Run School Glue in place of pins!

I'm making a Warm Wishes quilt and decided to try the School Glue idea to match seams when joining rows. I pinned the rows together and then at the ironing board I remove the pin at each seam join, use a tiny dollop of glue, press seams together, and iron it dry. (I did use pins along the row where there were no seams to match). This glue "pinning" works like an absolute charm! The glued seams are easy to sew over, no pins moving when sewing, no fabric shifting, and when done, the seams match perfectly. I can already imagine how well it works when matching corners. This is the greatest new thing since sliced bread, as people used to say!

Not sure who first tried and discovered the Elmer's School Washable No Run Glue trick, but it's a great boon to piecing. Thanks to all those who shared it here!

Marilyn

Blog Entries
    i've been using it more and more... wish i'd bought more at the start of the school year
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have switched to glue basting. I don't think I will turn back now. Have had wonderful results. And it all washes out.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the tip on using the glue to 'pin' seams.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I have switched to glue basting. I don't think I will turn back now. Have had wonderful results. And it all washes out.

Ditto! I will never baste another quilt sandwich using anything but school glue....so fast, so easy.....big hugs to the quilter who discovered this one!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i've been using it more and more... wish i'd bought more at the start of the school year
    Our Dollar General store here has Elmer's School Glue for $1.00 per 4 oz bottle all the time.

I love the glue idea....after starting to use it to match up the seams, I have not had to do much ripping and redoing the seams. What a time saver!

I have always used the glue sticks, but not t he bottle of glue, great idea for large pieces.

Blog Entries
    So thrilled that I read about and tried the glue basting, bindings, applique and piecing. It works fabulously and feel lost without it now!
    Brenda

I glue basted 3 quilts so far and it's so easy. I am quilting one and so far it's been a breeze. I plan on buying a gallon of it next payday and just refilling my glue bottle.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

roxans glue works the same and has a long stylus which delivers a very fine drop of glue --my question anyone seen an adapter for the elmers glue or do we have to spend big dollars to get the roxanns equipment??

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can buy Elmer's by the gallon at places like Office Depot and Office Max.

I just use the regular Elmer's top. I've never seen the need for the tiny tip, but they are available in the paint aisle at Joann's from time to time. They are tips for craft paint bottles but fit very well on the Elmer's bottles.

Blog Entries
    I've used this method for binding and love it. There is a utube on Sharon Schamers. How do you baste the entire quiilt the same way?
    The Future is Now!

I have switched to Aleene's No-Sew fabric glue. It dries really fast and you don't need to iron it dry. I used a wooden tooth pick to put it on my seam joins. None of them came undone before sewing.

Blog Entries
    I have used Elmer's glue for basting binding on but never for a whole quilt. Add me to the list of those who want to learn how to use it to baste a quilt.
    Sherri