Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna 730 eXcellence Pro Question >

Elna 730 eXcellence Pro Question

Elna 730 eXcellence Pro Question

Old 09-24-2023, 06:02 PM

Default Elna 730 eXcellence Pro Question

Hello all!
Does anyone have this machine and can tell me any opinions (good/bad) about the machine? I am not sure how the machine can get a "scant" 1/4" inch? Even though it says 1/4"Inch with foot and setting. Thanks for all your help.
Kirsten
Old 09-25-2023, 07:22 AM

One of the ladies in my new sewing group is a Elna fan and sold them for many years as well. I'll ask her tomorrow if she has any comments. I know she brings an Elna to group but I'm not sure what model.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure I understand the question. Any machine can sew a scant 1/4". There's no magic machine or foot that can determine just what the setting should be for your fabric and thread. On my Bernina I know that with the fabrics and thread that I usually sew with, I can use my 1/4" foot and move the needle to the right one click. On my vintage 301, I put tape on the machine bed to tell me where to align the fabric. The amount of "scantness" needed varies for different fabrics and threads.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:08 PM
mkc

I believe that's the Elna twin to the Janome 8200 QCP (Elna is no longer a manufacturer; Janome bought the brand name years ago). I'd suggest expanding your searches to include that model as well.

While there is a 1/4" foot and likely a specific stitch number that moves the needle and sets the stitch length, if you have or buy a machine don't assume you'll automatically get that scant 1/4". You might need to adjust the needle position further. Case in point, my Janome 7700 has a 1/4" AcuFeed foot with a suggested 5.6 or 5.7 needle position for the foot. I have to use 6.5 to get an accurate scant 1/4 inch.

Last edited by mkc; 09-25-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
Hello all!
Does anyone have this machine and can tell me any opinions (good/bad) about the machine? I am not sure how the machine can get a "scant" 1/4" inch? Even though it says 1/4"Inch with foot and setting. Thanks for all your help.
Kirsten
you need to set your needle 6.5 to get the scant 1/4"
Old 09-26-2023, 08:25 AM

I use the 6.5 on my Janome's too. 6.0 on my Eversewn. That said the foot is really imaterial, it is how/where you feed your fabric. I know where the edge of my material needs to be on the toot. To learn that, over the years I've stitched dozens of 3.5" 9 patch test blocks
Incidentally I use a clear open toe foot for piecing to see better. Same needle setting as for the 1/4" foot.
Of course, precise cutting is key too.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:54 PM

I think you go the answer you were seeking. The lady at group is still an Elna fan but most of her experience was with non-computerized machines so didn't have any specific experience with your machine.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:26 PM

I have the 740 and it is/has been an excellent machine. Not sure if that helps...