Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
My Walmarts close to me closed the fabric dept a couple years ago and sorry...but I HAVEN'T gotten over it. It has cut into my fabric purchases big time, and I resent the he!! out of it. I'm sure alot of us feel that way and still need to vent.

It's not just availability of fabric (plenty of LQS in my area) but AFFORDABILITY for alot of us.
I was thrilled when I moved to GA and had 3 Wal-Marts with fabric near me. 2 yrs later- NONE. I still resent it too! My fabric ladies were nice, knowledheabl and helpful.
My LQS has insiders and regulars that get all the attention. Outsiders must listen to their personal conversations and nasty gossip about their own teachers, as they are shop.
Oh well, there's always JoAnn.....
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. I
You can bet your last dollar that Mr. Sam is rolling in his grave. This new Wal-Mart is not at all what he intended his stores to be.
I fully agree!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:31 PM

I love this Board....the healthist place on-line. What a wonderful place to vent.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by JS
Yes, we have talked about this subject many times in the past and recently. But, new people are always joining the board and some of our members are just now experiencing the loss of their fabric dept in their Wal-Mart stores. Lets not be so criticle regarding this subject. I am sure those who have already gone through this much earlier have as one member says "gotten over it" but this is an on going thing with our Wal-Mart stores and new info is being put out there to all of us constantly so I say go ahead and continue reporting your news regarding this subject for us all when you hear something. Those of us who feel it is time to "get over it" please just scroll on down or better yet when you see this subject ..just don't open this subject page. Sorry for all of you who are experiencing this problem with Wal_Mart as I know some of us have only had that store as a means to an end for fabric or it is all some of the board can afford to buy from. Stay safe quilting friends and please keep on asking any and all questions you might have regardless of the subject. That is part of the reason for our wonderful board and its wonderful members.
Thanks, JS. Couldn't have said it better myself!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM

I went to the Walmart IN PERRY, Ga last week and found they had the $5.00 bolts of fabric. You get 5yds on them. They still have a nice fabric dept. Although they don't have $1.00 fabric on the tables anymore, the manager usually have a good selection of $1.50-$2.00 fabrics.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

They should keep the fabric dept and get rid of the crappy cheap stuff!

WM has really gone down hill in recent years. :thumbdown:
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM

I am so sorry for you that are just now or recently lost your Fabric Dept @ WalMart. I do know & underdstand what a hardship that might cause some folks. We lost our Fabric Dept in 2 Stores sev yrs ago. And let me say that there was plenty of phone calls and emails & written letters to Corp. Did it matter or make a diff.? Hell no. We got the same generic letter that many of you received. There is a Hancocks across the Street from one of the WalMarts here & it has just got crap in it. Fleece mostly. And Home Dec. items. Approx 20 miles there is a Jo Ann Store. There is a variety of fabric to choose from, but their prices are rising also. I am not in the least bit impressed with the FQ's they are now carrying. Some are no more a FQ than I am.

Ohhhh & our WalMart Stores do not have pkg'd fabric either. No Fabric at all!!! We never got it here. Emails, phone calls and letters are still being sent, but it has done NO good at all. Yes, they have lost a lot of business over it & still won't bring it back. It makes me livid that WalMart is carrying less brands of food now trying to force their brand on people. They are just bullies. Greedy, selfish, thoughtless bullies. So a lot of us in the community flat refuse to shop there at all anymore. Carpooling, a few have decided it is more pleasant to go into the City to a Store & do their grocery shopping. I so agree.

Now, what to do about the loss of fabric dept.? Shop online, watch sales, may have to resort to Goodwill & Thrift Stores, do whatever we have to do. Our forefathers had no selection of Stores & Shops & the women still quilted. We have to be creative. Some just shop less for groceries & stick to a grocery budget. Cooking & freezing left overs or meals cuts costs some. More money for fabric that way. WalMart removing their fabric dept does not have to mean the end. Just have to get creative. And I would bet all of my stash that they will not bring back the fabric dept. Not for a few yrs if then. They have a Target CEO now & the stores are being fashioned more like Target. So like it or hate it, it is what it is. Now we as quilters have to figure out how to deal with it in our personal life.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM

I see your point but here's mine....We have a Walmart 15 miles from us who recently "remodeled" their store, and did away with their fabric department. Now I live in a small town, and the closest place for me to go to get ANY fabric is about 45 miles one way. With the price of gas (not to mention the time driving over and back), I'm not going to run over THERE for it without making a full day of it. I never went into our nearby Walmart's without checking out their fabrics, no matter what I was shopping for. In a larger city where there are plenty of choices, that's one thing. But for those of us in rural areas, it put us in a bind. really p.o.'s me that they don't take these kind of things into consideration when making their decisions.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 AM

Maybe we should all send letters to another chain store, like Fred's or the Dollar Stores that are popping up all over, or someone, and see if they could start a fabric department in their stores. Might be worth a shot.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Gramof 6-you have a point, 2nd hand clothes, cotton of course is a good source for quilting material. Men's cotton shirts, women's skirts - and I agree, we do have to become creative. Our little 2nd hand store in Brush is a treasure trove of cotton clothing - and the price is right.