Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 PM

That's the exact same letter that I got too. I asked why they guys could still have their automotive dept but us gals couldn't even buy a spool of thread. It's not fair.Take out some of the cd's ,movies etc. That would give them the floor space.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Yeah, um...I'm not so sad to see the Wal-Mart fabric section go (Ours has been gone a year or more) that they're trying to PR the heck outta that and make it all shiny, happy....CELEBRATION AISLE! I call b.s. on that one. There's already a "celebration" section. And there's also a "seasonal" section for every holiday known to man. Whatev. Seriously.
Since my Walmarts don't have fabric anymore, I boycott the Celebration section. I can buy the same things at a cheaper price at a dollar store, or just get regulare paper plates at Aldi's.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by kso
Here is an email I rec'd today from WalMart.

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care
I have to agree that this letter is full of B.S. and Walmart is just blowing smoke up our you know whats but I have sent several letters and left several messages and sent several emails and never even gotten a response. I try to avoid Walmart like the plague but I think they own Ben Franklins too and I love those stores.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 PM

To me didn't notice Celebrations using Extra sq footage, did notice more food items, and aisles, and most accept ebt cards. This follows w/client base, markup is generally lower, on food than fabs, but not celebration type items, does help food producers keep producing. :)
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 PM

It is not just fabric that Walmart has cut out. We can't buy our cat's food, all the brand name food items had price increases, some by a lot. I went yesterday and bought nothing but bananas. That is the first time that happened. Ever.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM

I have been diligient in trying to avoid Walmart at all costs, because of what it does to the local businesses . These are businesses owned by comunity members who's profits will be spent in the comunity. And owners are present to listen and answer questions. Additionally I am old enough to remember that when Walmart first started national presence ... their big claim was that everthing in the store was AMERICAN MADE. This was silently abandoned once they had made them selves the giant retailer.
It is not that hard where I live to shop elsewhere, and get good prices. There is alot of competition for consumer dollars here. It is sad to see what Walmart has done to some rural areas local businesses.
It is even more regretful that once the local businesses are gone due to Walmarts presence, they abandon the offerings that may not have been as profitable as others , with no regard to the customers who had come to depend on them.
Well I am sorry for the soap box... but somethings just make me mad.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Did I mention I hate WalMart??? They have driven small businesses (not to mention other large chain stores) out of business. They "remodeled" our WM last year; moved stuff around; took all fabric and most crafts out (just left a small selection of yarn, a few sewing machines, some notions, a little scrapbooking stuff and that's about it); scaled down on housewares, including rugs, towels, etc. I noticed this summer that their hanging baskets were more expensive then the home improvement centers and I was in the garden section when a lady wanted help with loading some mulch and there was no one around. She finally left very angry and not being very quiet about it! I can do better on groceries at our local supermarket. I think they are advertising lower prices on some things but I have seen prices going up on a lot of other things. They don't get much of my business....why should they...they don't have anything I want.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM

I received the same email. NO surprise that it was about as classy as the store it represents.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM

When they started the remodel of our local W-M, after I had already called, emailed and begged them with reasons to keep it..........the girls in the fabric dept. told me it was being replaced by the "Celebrations" department of paper party goods.
My question was " Who, in this economy, has THAT much to celebrate?" The ladies in the fabric department certainly agreed.
While I would LOVE to patronize my LQS more often, the prices are out of my limited league.
The alternatives here are Joann's or online, and sometimes, you just really need to match fabrics in person. The nearest Hancock's is now an hour away.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM

I received the same e-mail from Walmart yesterday. The Walmart close to me still has a lot of fabric, but will see if they keep it.