Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embellishments anyone? >

Embellishments anyone?

Embellishments anyone?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

i used some crystals on my gd's ocean quilt in (key locations) it adds FABULOUS sparkly to the quilt- everyone loves it- it is not (poky) or in any way not nice to use on her bed.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 AM

When I make quilts i hope they will be used. We do not have any animals so there is always quilts on my bed. I love to sleep under them etc. my kids and grand kids are always excited to see what I am making next as they all have quilts. Artsy quilts have there place in this world but not in my world LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i think its odd to see a quilt on a bed.

so much time and money goes into a quilt why in the world would you subject to kids, pets, people, etc.

i wash our bedding every 4 days and would never subject any of my work to such harsh conditions on a daily basis.

I think quilts are made for different purposes.

Some do seem to be made to "just look at"

Some are made to be "used (NOT abused) to shreds"

I think of embellished (with something other than thread) quilts as quilts to look at more than quilts to use for covering.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 AM

I'm not a huge fan of quilts as strictly art. I like art, but I also like to keep things with traditional utilitarian roots as such. I'm a very practical person, and it actually seems wasteful to me to spend all that time and money on something that serves no purpose but to keep the wall warm.

But that's what makes this world wonderful. I'll make beautiful quilts intended to cover a bed, and other people can make beautiful quilts to cover the wall, and we can all look at each other's craft and appreciate it for what it is. We don't have to participate to enjoy. :)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 AM

I made a wall quilt with cardinals on it and I added tiny red seed beads to the wings just to give it some dimension.