Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embellishments anyone? >

Embellishments anyone?

Embellishments anyone?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM

When I went to the Paducah Quilt Show I noticed that many of the quilts had embellishments of sequins, beads,tiny crystals worked into their quilts. They were beautiful, but just struck me as being odd. I know these quilts were meant to be wall quilts, but does anyone else feel this way? Am I missing out on something? Does anyone here add these to their quilts?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I havent and probably won't use embellishments. But, then again, never say never....
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM

I have embellished but only on wall art/quilts. I think art quilts are beautiful , and are their own form, and I view them differently than bed quilts... but all fall into the fiber arts category.
When it comes to bed quilts ... I don't embellish with anything other than thread.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

I've used chrystals only once on a wall quilt. I'm not really an art quilter, so that might be my last. I agree -- I've seen some quilts at shows that were so sparkly that that's all I saw - the sparkles not the quilt.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM

I live so close to Paducah I can't believe I have only been to that show once. That is one weekend I try to avoid that city!! I have used buttons on wall quilts and very small ones as an embellishment on a sunbonnet sue quilt. I would say it would depend on what you are going to use the quilt for. If it was a bedspread quilt that would not be in need of lots of washing or use I would, but not for a quilt I wanted to make to snuggle up with on the couch and that is only because being poked with a button or bead would not be very comfortable.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 PM

i think its odd to see a quilt on a bed.

so much time and money goes into a quilt why in the world would you subject to kids, pets, people, etc.

i wash our bedding every 4 days and would never subject any of my work to such harsh conditions on a daily basis.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 PM

My last wall quilt had more $ in Swaroski crystals than what I spent on fabric! I love the crystals. The quilts I make with added crystals always win a ribbon.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

The only embelishment I put on is wall hangings, neveron my quilts.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Only on small wall quilts. I've also used gold glitter paint on a Christmas wall quilt.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

my thoughts on crystals on a quilt---reminds me of something Dolly Parton said once..it takes a WHOLE lot of money to look this cheap...

I think they are tacky on a quilt...great on clothing, and wall/art things...but NOT on a quilt that is to be used...