Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: embriodering on quilt squares

embriodering on quilt squares

I am making my first BOM from pumpkinpatchbc.com and it's to be machine appliqued. There is a little bit of embroidery on each block. The only thing I ever embroidered was pillowcases. This is simple embroidery, so I'm sure I can do it.

I just have a couple of questions. Wouldn't the embroidery be the last thing you do to the block? Do you use a hoop to hold your block taut?

bkay

Power Poster
    I do use a hoop when I hand embroider and I do it last.

Yes, the last thing and yes, I use a hoop.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yes, last, but I prefer no hoops usually--especially if it's "tight" embroidery.

Blog Entries
    I do itlastand with a hoop.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

With a quilt, I might embroidery before the sandwich is quilted and in that case would use a hoop; but if I waited until after the quilting was done I would not use a hoop. I am talking of hand embroidery so I could hide the ends.

Blog Entries
    When I embroidery on a quilt top I put a piece of scrap batting on the square before I embroidery it. I then cut away the access after I have finished stitching. One it makes the embroidery more stable and two it makes the needlework stand out as there is more batting in that one area. I use thin batting for this.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

bkay, I'm planning on doing this BOM but so far I have only saved the first two blocks. I would first finish the applique on the block then do the embroidery. I do not use a hoop.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

I prefer putting fusible interfacing on the back so I don't need a frame and if I travel with the floss it doesn't show and it keeps the block from fraying. If you don't use interfacing, you will need to use a hoop to keep everything smooth.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Anytime I embroidery I use a hoop....but it must be removed as soon as I stop working on it to avoid rings on my fabric. I do like the suggestion of putting a small scrap piece of batting behind the embroidery.

I use a second layer of fabric so that knots and travel areas are hidden from the front of the block. I use a hoop to keep everything equally taut. I enjoy embroidering on quilt squares. I am sure that some of these other ideas are equally appropriate; it just depends on what you desire as an end result. I am intrigued by the use of thin batting as a back cover for the embroidery stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    I prefer putting fusible interfacing on the back so I don't need a frame and if I travel with the floss it doesn't show and it keeps the block from fraying. If you don't use interfacing, you will need to use a hoop to keep everything smooth.
    Thanks, this is how the blocks will be constructed. I bought some heat and bond lite for sticking the applique to the background. Like Sync, I have not made the first one yet.

Most of the embroidery is just simple lines, plus I am choosing to embroider the nose and eyes rather than trying to applique tiny pieces.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the help.