Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares? >

Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Default Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

I've been searching online for flannel quilt patterns and rag quilt patterns but they all seem to use two layers of flannel and a layer of batting.

I have a bunch of old scrubs (nursing/doctor clothing) here and I thought I could just cut them into squares and cut flannel into matching squares and make a rag quilt without the batting. What do you think?

I thought of fleece too, but I think that would be too hard to sew evenly because it stretches so much.

I'm looking for something really simple to teach my DIL to sew, and want to make a simple quilt that won't cost much. I'm fairly new to quilting myself, and don't know how willing to learn she is (she seems pretty resistant to most things I share).
Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

why not, it's your quilt, do as you please. there's no quilt police here. you never know till you try it. show us your finished project.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 PM

I know I can do whatever I want. I'm wondering if it will sew together well, wash well, etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM

I've seen great quilts made of scrubs. Scrub tops have great novelty prints, so they are fun to use.

I've also seen rag quilts with cotton on one side and flannel on the other. They seem to work out just fine.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:54 PM

I guess I didn't word my question very well. I want to make the quilt using just the scrubs and flannel without any batting. All the patterns I've seen use batting, so I'm wondering if it will be a stable quilt without the batting?
Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM

I made a rag quilting using cotton and 2 different colors of flannel. That way I didn't have to sew the X on each square and it gave me a fuller raggedy edge.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Will you please explain? Did you make the squares of a mix of flannel and cotton? The one I saw made was with fleece and had no x, just the edges of the squares sewn together. Then the 1/2 left ouside the seams was clipped to get the ragged edge.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I made a rag quilting using cotton and 2 different colors of flannel. That way I didn't have to sew the X on each square and it gave me a fuller raggedy edge.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM

You can do whatever you want with any material. I used jeans on one side and cotton on the other side and no batting. I don't see the difference with your scrubs other than it will be a light kinda quilt. If you feel you need batting then cut a couple blocks from the scrubs and put flannel on the other side. So you would have flannel on one side , scrubs on one side and scrubs as the batting. It can work and most of the rag quilts I seen sew an x on them. But then again you could sew lines or whatever you want to keep it all together.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I've been searching online for flannel quilt patterns and rag quilt patterns but they all seem to use two layers of flannel and a layer of batting.

I have a bunch of old scrubs (nursing/doctor clothing) here and I thought I could just cut them into squares and cut flannel into matching squares and make a rag quilt without the batting. What do you think?

I thought of fleece too, but I think that would be too hard to sew evenly because it stretches so much.

I'm looking for something really simple to teach my DIL to sew, and want to make a simple quilt that won't cost much. I'm fairly new to quilting myself, and don't know how willing to learn she is (she seems pretty resistant to most things I share).
I have tons of ALL SORTS OF FABRIC. The rag blanket I'm working on right now is light weight recalaimed drapes and corturoy. To maintain some consistancy the sections are all drapery/sheeting/corduroy. I flip the pieces over so I've got drapery/cord/drapery/cord.....................

I'd suggest to use flannel on the backs of the scrubs, and scrubs on back of he flannel.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Ditto Lynnie! you can make a rag quilt with an old dust rag if you want! DIL may want to make something not as time consuming. Start her off with a simple cheater or a small wall hanging or mug rug.