Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
easy king-sized quilt ideas? >

easy king-sized quilt ideas?

easy king-sized quilt ideas?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Default easy king-sized quilt ideas?

Okay, I started a BOM in 2008 for our then queen-sized bed. I finally finished the quilt, but I didn't make it larger to go on a king-sized bed, because I was tired of looking at it. I was fine with the old store-bought comforter that we've been using; however, as it was 109 degrees yesterday and since we have upper windows without shades in our bedroom (10-foot ceilings), I got fabric and blackout fabric to make drapes. Well, as happens any time you do anything around the house, the drapes don't match anything in the room. So we're going to paint the bedroom. Of course, the bathroom is en suite, so it will need to be painted too! I'd like to make a king-sized quilt for our bed. Something easy that doesn't look easy. Something that doesn't take me five years to finish. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

And for want of a nail the kingdom was lost. (Sorry, but that's the first thing that popped into my head after hearing that you have to make a quilt because it was hot yesterday.) I wonder if a carpenter's star quilt would work for you. One big block pretty much covers the bed and looks gorgeous.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete
Default Whacked out 9 pathc

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Okay, I started a BOM in 2008 for our then queen-sized bed. I finally finished the quilt, but I didn't make it larger to go on a king-sized bed, because I was tired of looking at it. I was fine with the old store-bought comforter that we've been using; however, as it was 109 degrees yesterday and since we have upper windows without shades in our bedroom (10-foot ceilings), I got fabric and blackout fabric to make drapes. Well, as happens any time you do anything around the house, the drapes don't match anything in the room. So we're going to paint the bedroom. Of course, the bathroom is en suite, so it will need to be painted too! I'd like to make a king-sized quilt for our bed. Something easy that doesn't look easy. Something that doesn't take me five years to finish. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I call it the "Whacked out 9 patch" is easy and fast. 9 patch cut in half both ways, twisted then sewn back together. I have used up a lot of scraps making these and they are a fav with my friends and family
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Fence rail. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 PM

I have a Cal King and was thinking of a Turning Twenty or similar with big blocks.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM

I finished a king size quilt in 1 1/2 days at a retreat. It measured out 96x96 before I added the 6 inch borders to finish it out t 108 x 108. I did it in a turning 20 (actually 35 blocks). There were 35 blocks with 11 pieces in each block. It went pretty fast and you. Could turn the blocks anyway you wanted to sew them together.

I see if I can post a pic of it for you.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

MSQC youtube video of Merry go Round quilt looks complicated but it is pretty easy. It has large squares in between the lattice so it would work up to king size fast. Jenny uses pre-cuts but you could cut your own squares from yardage.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Those situations are called "but first" projects at my house. Want to make a quilt but first I have to make curtains, but first I have to paint the walls, but first I have to get new carpet.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Now I'll see if I can post my completed quilt, (well almost I just need to add the binding)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by LAQUITA; 09-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM

I just pieced a Turning Twenty (actually thirty) queen size--it went very fast.