Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares? >

Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM

I guess my only question would be how much do the scrubs fabrics fray? If they are cotton or blends I don't see why they wouldn't work. I've made several rag quilts for charity and do not put batting in them, just use a third layer of flannel in between. And I too have seen them made with cotton and flannel or even just cotton fabrics with batting between. Maybe you could sew up a sample quilt of just 8 or so squares, clip it and wash it and see what happens.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
Will you please explain? Did you make the squares of a mix of flannel and cotton? The one I saw made was with fleece and had no x, just the edges of the squares sewn together. Then the 1/2 left ouside the seams was clipped to get the ragged edge.
I used cotton for the top layer. Then 2 layers of flannel. I didn't put any batting in it so there wasn't any need to secure it by sewing an "X" in each square. Here is a link to the rag quilt I did. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t152774.html
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I never use batting my rag quilts. I do use 3 layers though - center is flannel, and the front and back can be quilter's cotton, flannel, corduroy, homespun... If you don't use batting, you don't have to quilt an X in each square, you don't have to fuss with getting the batting in the middle, and you have an extra layer to rag.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM

I think it would be beautiful .... kinda' like an I-Spy rag quilt. Using only the scrub fabric and 1 layer of flannel will make it weigh similar to a regular quilt. Once you get it lap-sized, you'll know how much you want to do. The great thing about rag quilts is that you adjust the size as you go .... lap size to throw size to full-bed size. I am looking forward to seeing pictures.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Scraplady, as evryone said you make them with anything.
However, the scrub fabric will not fray the same as cotton or flannel but if it;s simply to teach then you might not mind.
You can also use for the centre instead of batting any stiffer fabric that would not move around; a felt type of fabric a decorator fabric... remember how heavy you want it. As a beginner, flannel on the back for softness and scrub on the front for prints would be a nice light quilt.
Hope this helps

Carole
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Most scrubs that I've seen are just regular fabric, so they should work just fine, whether they are 100% cotton or a blend.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Thanks everyone for all your advice! I think I understand now. Except for the X thing, but I'll look up more patterns.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:58 PM

I've made a rag quilt with flannel on the front side and all cotton on the other side and it worked out well
Old 09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Banned

I know it is your quilt and you can do whatever you want. However......

If I were teaching someone to quilt I would not start with a rag quilt. I would use the fabric to make a more traditional quilt ..top, batting and back.

Rag quilts should fray on the edges. That is why a more loosely woven fabric is used.. That is not to say the scrubs would not work. I would put the scrubs in the middle or one the back if you are using only two layers.

I always say you have to respect the nature of the fabric if you mix different fibers, weave, textures and weights. I believe you need to experiment to make sure if you are getting the look you want.

It appears also based on how you have described your student that you need to consider what she wants and avoid making something she may never use.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Scraplady, as evryone said you make them with anything.
However, the scrub fabric will not fray the same as cotton or flannel but if it;s simply to teach then you might not mind.
You can also use for the centre instead of batting any stiffer fabric that would not move around; a felt type of fabric a decorator fabric... remember how heavy you want it. As a beginner, flannel on the back for softness and scrub on the front for prints would be a nice light quilt.
Hope this helps

Carole
I've found that any woven fabric will rag out---------maybe every fabric is not equal, but this is for a RAG quilt and persoanlly, I don't see where the amount of ragging makes much difference.

For one of my granddaughter's floor quilts, I even used double knit which won't fray at all. But I used it as the very back piece so each square had two layers "outside" that did fray. And when two blocks were stitched together, there were 2 pieces frayed, two double knit, 2 more frayed. It's on the floor, not in a show.