Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidering on Quilts >

Embroidering on Quilts

Embroidering on Quilts

Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Embroidering on Quilts

Does anyone embroider downloaded quilting designs on their quilts with their embroidery machines? If so, do you always hoop the quilt or do you use the sticky stabilizer and just stick the quilt onto that?
Any hints or suggestions on this would be appreciated as I have downloaded many quilting patterns that I would like to use on quilts. I download them off the computer and then into my sewing machine, but cannot use them without my embroidery hoop. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM

I haven't tried it yet but practice hooping a small quilt sandwich no stabilizer, and it came out well with 80/20 hobbs here are 2 links I found
http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2012...y-machine.html
http://cheekycognoscenti.blogspot.co...with-your.html
Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 PM

Haven't tried on a big quilt yet.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM

I did it on my snowman quilt. I just did quilting designs. There are lots of them at emblibrary.com and they cost about $1 each. When I first read here that people quilt with their embroidery machines, I was thinking more like doing a big design with their embroidery modules. I found that difficult. (I tried it on a different quilt with embroidering bluebells...finally finished the quilt--haven't posted it yet.)

Here is my quilt.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t215430.html

It's not a very big quilt--more like couch size, and I stitched in the ditch along the 9 patches and then used the embroidery machine to fill in the white spots with one of two designs--snowman or snowflakes. Pictures are at the link given.

Last edited by justflyingin; 04-06-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM

My first quilt was an oversized kingsize double wedding ring quilt and I embroidered the center with my embroidery machine. I SID around the rings first. Was a pain, but it was worth it, came out beautiful. Now, I have my janome and the accufil hoop, so I'm planning to embroider another quilt. I hooped the quilt, too.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 AM

I hoop the quilts when I embroider on them
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 AM

I hooped the one I did. It took a while each time I hooped it. I did get faster the more often I did it, however.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Did you hoop the quilt when you did the designs?

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I did it on my snowman quilt. I just did quilting designs. There are lots of them at emblibrary.com and they cost about $1 each. When I first read here that people quilt with their embroidery machines, I was thinking more like doing a big design with their embroidery modules. I found that difficult. (I tried it on a different quilt with embroidering bluebells...finally finished the quilt--haven't posted it yet.)

Here is my quilt.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t215430.html

It's not a very big quilt--more like couch size, and I stitched in the ditch along the 9 patches and then used the embroidery machine to fill in the white spots with one of two designs--snowman or snowflakes. Pictures are at the link given.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM

What is the accufil hoop?

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
My first quilt was an o

versized kingsize double wedding ring quilt and I embroidered the center with my embroidery machine. I SID around the rings first. Was a pain, but it was worth it, came out beautiful. Now, I have my janome and the accufil hoop, so I'm planning to embroider another quilt. I hooped the quilt, too.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Gay

Hi Judy. If you are using a machine embroidery design as a quilting design, then yes, you do have to use the hoop, as the embroidery unit connected to the hoop is what moves the fabric around. If you have a large quilt you will need to support it front back and sides somehow, so it doesn't create drag on the emb unit. One of the best ways to do this is to quilt a block as a 'sandwich' [background, batting and backing] You can then use sashing or other methods to join these blocks. Or you could make the quilt in sandwich strips of, say, 12" wide, and quilt, then join another sandwich strip and repeat. Hope this helps Do show us a pic of the finished quilt

Cheers