Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Bobbin >

Embroidery Bobbin

Embroidery Bobbin

Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 AM

What do you do if you have a larger design and you know one bobbin of thread isn't going to be enough? I've run out when using a bobbin that's not completely full and had to start over. What if even a full one isn't enough?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 AM

I have a Janome 350E machine. my machine gives me a little beep between colour changes to let me know my bobbin is getting close to being empty. Once it is empty, I will change the bobbin spool between colours. Even if the bobbin spool isn't completely empty I will still change it. Hope this helps
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM

How do you change it though? Mine is a top loading bobbin. the embroidery hoop is on top of it. Can I take the hoop off?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 AM

Mine is the same way. I just take the hoop off to change bobbins and then throw the hoop back in place and start her up again!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 AM

you can also buy prewound bobbins - they have far more thread on them then we could wind at home.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 AM

Check your manual to see how to move the hoop out of the way to change your bobbin. Most machines have a park position that you use so you can reach the bobbin.

If that isn't possible, you can remove the hoop (just don't unhoop your fabric!!!), change your bobbin, place the hoop back on the embroidery arm and touch start. It will resume stitching right where you stopped.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
How do you change it though? Mine is a top loading bobbin. the embroidery hoop is on top of it. Can I take the hoop off?
I have the thread cutting button on my machine (Brother SE400) I cut the thread, then I take the embroidery hoop off from the machine, keeping the fabric still in the hoop. Replace the bobbin, then put the hoop back on the machine and start the embroidery again. You will need to tie off the loose ends to prevent the threads from coming undone. But I don't do this until I am done with the embroiderying. Hope this helps ;)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM

Lift your pressure foot, remove the hoop, do not cut top thread, put a new bobbin in, put your hoop back on. Pull your top thread back up just so it's snug, but not too tight & then if possible, back the machine stitches up about 12 stitches, then start from there. That locks your threads in place.

Only small designs can be stitched in full with a single bobbin. Many require 2 or more bobbins to complete a design.