Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Embroidery machine - can it also quilt?

Embroidery machine - can it also quilt?

After noting in several catalogs about using embroidery to quilt with I purchased the Janome 300E but I am totally confused. Are you able to use these machines to actually quilt the finished product? My Janome dealer who just recently purchased the store wasn't quite sure & I appreciate him admitting that. Has anyone out there attempted this or are using it or can advise me what I need to do? I would like to be able to actually quilt with it but it doesn't look like there is enough throat room. By the way, my dealer will allow me what I paid for the machine & accessories to upgrade my 6500 if I don't like it - & I have been thinking about that for ages. Thanks to all of you!

Yes, you can actually quilt your squares with an embroidery machine. Your quilting will only be as large as your hoops will allow though. I like to put sticky stabilizer in the hoop and stick the quilt to it instead of hooping the quilt. It gets kind of bulky to hoop a quilt. You can buy quilt designs for the embroidery machine. I would love to have a machine that has the jumbo (8x10) hoop. My largest hoop is 5x7. I wouldn't want to do a large quilt that way. Have fun with your new machine.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure that you will get some tips because I know folks do this all the time. I personally was never successful in getting a larger quilt out of the way of the embroidery arm so it could do its thing. However, you can easily quilt individual blocks or sections of a quilt, then join them using a QAYG method. I was also pretty successful in quilting the borders of a larger quilt, just not the middle!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quilt university has a class on it
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have a Husqvarna Ruby with a 360 X 200 hoop. I have quilted 7 twin size. These I did hoop. I am now going to do some full and larger but then I am going to quilt it as a section at a time. Quilt as you go is the best way for anything larger then a twin size. Hope this helps