Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery machine for a starter.... >

Embroidery machine for a starter....

Embroidery machine for a starter....

Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 PM

I have a Janome 350E.It has been easy to teach myself how to use it..(no customer support).Biggest hoop is 5x7 inches but I tend to use the smaller hoop making baby bibs ,burp clothes etc..They are great fun.......
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
Go with the biggest hoop you can afford. You will quickly out grow the 4x4 only hoop. I agree that one should have a separate sewing machine too, so you can sew while you are embroidering. I have a Janome 300E and I have had a lot of trouble with the bobbin. Embroidery machines are a lot of fun!
I have a 350E and had some issues with my bobbin also. I had it replaced and haven't had any issues since. I think part of the problems is that when the machine is doing stitching that is right next to each other that there is a tendency for it to ball up, because it catches the other threads and can't move. It only cost me $22.50 and I think the little armature that is on the top got sprung. You might check that on your machine.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 AM

I have a Brother PE150 I found at a yard sale & A Brother 270D found on Craigslist and enjoy them both as they are beginner embroidery machines with Dinsey designs. The best thing is they were cheap and I felt that if I did not enjoy doing embroidery I did not spend too much! (under $200 total for both machines). Then I just have a Babylock Melody for my regular sewing machine.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Swap Hosts

You are right about the 4x4. I got my first embroidery machine as a Christmas gift from my husband and already wishing I had a bigger hoop. It's a Babylock Sofia 2. Love it, but ...

Someone told me there is software that will allow you to do a bigger design. Anyone remember what it is?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 AM

I have a brother pe770 since february so consider myself quite new at it still but I am learning *LOL* Did a darling owl yesterday for my hubbys kindle cover-turned out quite well.....I think the price I paid for it (NEW) to learn on
was excellent.......plus it has the usb port for your computers memory stick which I love, I have maybe 50 or more free designs which is good to start on . When I get better I will buy some *LOL* Rita
Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

My first one was the Brother SE350,which I got on clearence for only 189.00. I love it, really easy to use, and I am a computer dummy!
Drawbacks are the small hoop, only does 4X4 area, an has to have a special cord to hook up to the internet.
BUT, it is SO user freindly, makes really nice designs, NOT picky about thread....a really light weight machine too. It does BOTH sewing and embodery.
BF just bought me a bigger one, a Bother Innovis 1200, and I am still learning on it. We bought it used, does a bigger design, and was ALOT like the OTHER Brother, so easy to learn, and this one WILL hook up to internet, but I dont know how yet!
Maybe you can find a used one? Mine was a great deal, and the dealer threw in ALOT of free stuff, even expensive embrodery thread for me!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 AM

I also had always wanted on to try. I have a lower end Brother that I bought on clearance at walmart. I have used it for years and just love having that choice to do a design but not have put to much money in it. I keep saying someday I will upgrade but have not felt a big need to do it yet.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 AM

I started with a Brother combo 900D, and knew within a week that I wanted something that I could do larger designs and that I didn't like the combo. I went to the Janome 350e, have had no issues with it. There was a problem with the bobbin but it was minor and an easy fix. I love the touch screen, thread cutter and low bobbin warning. I have learned that machines that have thread cutters need to be allowed to complete the cutting process before grabbing and removing any project. I had a habit of grabbing it to look before it was completely cut and it can knock your bobbin out of adjustment. I love making tea towels, quilt labels, blocks, there isn't any limit to what you can't do. I also feel that having a USB port is important for ease of downloaded and using cd's for patterns. The cards are no longer made and what you find on ebay can be very costly. Find a store that has a variety of machines, go there and spend a day trying them. Whether you spend $100 or $1,000, it is still an investment and your money needs to used wisely on this type of purchase.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM

What machine do you have that has a 14 x 14 hoop?