Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Good Starter Machine?

Good Starter Machine?

I am looking for a good starter machine for a college student.

Any suggestion?????

Blog Entries
    Look for a used machine that may have a bit more than the basic models you can buy.
    I love my Janome.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Depending on what type of sewing the student wants to do, I'd probably look at a used higher end machine from a service/repair shop that can be had for the right price - whatever that may be for you/them. Or check on Craigslist if you feel confident enough to check out a machine on your own. This way you're not investing lots of $$ on something that may not be used too much.

I just bought a cheap Brother 2600 lightweight machine for classes. It was $80 and it does alot for the price.
    Being in Collage I would consider a light weight machine.
    Of course my Viking computer machine is my favorite but is heavy and not good for moving around.

Agree with the other two posters about a good used machine from a dealer. Folks bring in their machines usually because they are upgrading to a newer model. The dealer gives the machines a good going over, cleaning and any repairs that are necessary, and most will offer a limited warranty with the machine as well (usually just 30 - 90 days).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I agree with the others about going to dealers bc I traded up and I know who got my first Bernina did good. Good Luck. I took my singer stylist with me to college. good memories. Teresa

ditto to the above.

Consider whether this is a beginning sewer/quilter? or one who has sewn before, but never owned one.
    What is a suitable "starter machine" for one, would not be appropriate for the other.

Don't let the price lure you ... a cheap new one, may not have the quality you could get in purchasing a used one from a dealer or elsewhere. For me, I'd deal with a dealer for a little more security in how I spend my money ... though I'm biased as I have an incredible dealer nearby and I know that is not the case for all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I would buy a Janome Jem Platinum for a beginner sewer. It is a quality machine that will last to be her back up machine later on.
    Got fabric?

I have to give my support for a basic Brother. I sew on three of them, one at home, one at each of my sons' houses. They are not persnickety and make a nice stitch. I also have some older vintage machines which I like, but my Brother is my "go to" machine.

Any of the lower end brothers would be great. I got my start on the lower end brothers and still use mine and love them. I have a higher end babylock, but it took me quite a few years to be comfortable with machines before I got her, and she is heavy, not easy to cart around like the lower end brothers that go with me to classes, and you can do everthing on them.

I think Brother or Janome. The Janome platinum isn't that inexpensive. I believer they're about $400 now. I wouldn't buy any machine that weights much more then 12 lbs. She'll be able to take that whereevershe goes. Later she can get a heavier more expensive machine.

Banned
    I love this machine
    Not only does it do needle down, I can move the needle for a scant 1/4"
    I gave all my grandkids Jem Golds to get them started.
    They love them.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I would buy a Janome Jem Platinum for a beginner sewer. It is a quality machine that will last to be her back up machine later on.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmomma View Post
    I am looking for a good starter machine for a college student.

Any suggestion?????
    Oh sure. Buy a new sewing machine like a nice Janome. I use simple mechanical sewing machines as they have proven reliability over the fancy more pricey Electronic or Computerized ones. I would have recommended Sears Kenmore mechanical models but they discontinued selling them online or at their stores. I used those in college and afterwards. And I still have the last Kenmore sold in my area!

Now for a recommended list to buy:

• Janome "Hello Kitty" Sewing Machine Model 11706 (Green)
    • Janome Model 3128

These 2 listed above machines are very simple and easy to use. I have the "Hello Kitty" version model myself. I just love the way it sews and very nice to tote around (important in dorm/single apartment use).

• Janome "Hello Kitty Sewing Machine Model 15822

Still mechanical, but has an nice automatic 1 step buttonhole. You may also adjust stitch length and width. Very nice for somewhat more advanced work.

I wish I could recommend the idea of visiting a dealer. I have had no luck with these people and prefer to bypass them in favor of ordering online. I order through larger stores like Target or Hancock Fabrics with a good return policy in case of problems with the machine. I had far better experiences and luck with the larger stores.
    Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.