Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/4 yd-----WOF

1/4 yd-----WOF

In another thread, there's discussion about fat quarters vs. 1/4 yd cuts. How do you get a quarter yard cut so that you actually have 9" of fabric when you get home? Most of the cutters around here are so sloppy that I'd by a half a yard if I wanted 9" of usable fabric. There have been times I've lost as much as 9" off a corner when trying to square up fabric.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I've had that same thing happen. I always buy 1/4 to 1/2 yard extra anyway for shrinkage when I wash and for squaring up.
    Beth in Maryland

I guess the best way would be to stand right there and ask them to be very careful about the 9 inches or.....buy a little more.

: )

Instead of buying half a yard, why not ask for one-third of a yard. That's 12 inches instead of 18. If you can't get nine usable inches out of that, I'd complain to the store manager about how sloppy the employees are on fabric cutting.

I guess I'm lucky. In most of the places I buy fabric in my area, the cuts are usually made one or two inches beyond the measurement I ask for, so I have a little bit of room to get my full amount.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Some clerks don't like to see me ... I watch them cutting the fabric, often asking them to square it up before cutting my piece. Sometimes I check it again throughout the piece just to be sure. I've even bought 3 or more inches more than I need just to be sure I have enough fabric. And yes, I've returned fabric that doesn't meet my expectations when I get home. Customer service needs to be improved and it's up to the customer to set the standards.

I'm with you, I stand there and watch them like a hawk. Then I take the piece and place the folded edge to the selvedge and if it isn't the same width I ask them to remeasure and recut if it isn't 9" at both the fold and selvedge. I also have taken back fabric thay isn't cut properly or shrinks and twists so badly when washed it's not even near 9". JoAnn's is famous for sloppy cutting in my town, plus the gals are a bit rude. My LQS usually overcuts by a few inches or throws in the last few inches on the bolt instead of offering them to me at 50% off.

If I need 9" of fabric, I NEVER get just 1/4 yard. 1/3 yard just costs a smidgen more. Even getting a 1/3, you have to watch to see that both ends are cut straight.

Power Poster
    One of the things I've learned to do when buying fabric:

I try to remember to check to see if the fabric looks like it's 'straight' while it's still on the cardboard.

Is it printed on-grain? If it's printed off-grain, I don't even bother to take it home.

Has it gotten pulled 'off-grain' in the manufacturing and packaging processes? It may or may not go back to being 'on-grain' after it has been washed and dried. (Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is/was)

The cutters will probably cut the fabric perpendicular to the selvage edge or fold - regardless of what the actual fabric grain lines are.

Exceptions that I've seen. I saw someone pull a thread on an expensive silk to get the cutting line, and I've seen cutters cut along a thread on a woven plaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    If I need 9" of fabric, I NEVER get just 1/4 yard. 1/3 yard just costs a smidgen more. Even getting a 1/3, you have to watch to see that both ends are cut straight.
    If I'm buying WOF cuts, a third of a yard is the smallest cut I'll buy.

Power Poster
    Both 1/4 yard wof cuts and fat quarters have their benefits depending on the pattern. I buy 1/4 yards if doing strips that are cut WOF or if I need a smaller piece. I buy fat quarters if I need a fatter piece for a quilt or a small project. There are a lot of small seeing projects that call for 2 fat quarters staked to cut the pattern pieces. Of course, sometimes I buy fat quarters just because they are pretty. No one else has the pretty fat quarter addiction, right?

Banned
    The cutting to really watch is when buying wide backing. It is folded twice on the bolt and even tho the cutter may give a few extra inches, it never comes out right. I have lost as much as 12" on a 3 yd piece. I try to get them to tare the fabric because it is expensive to have to buy extra wide backing.

Go to the stores that rip the fabric. This gives you exactly what you want. The crooked cuts to the straight of grain are because of the way the fabric is loaded on the bolts. Machine stretch the fabric as it winds....

I guess I am guilty of over buying, I always buy one half to a yard more to make sure I have enough in case I mess up or decide to change the pattern. Nothing upsets me more than starting a project and not having enough fabric.

Blog Entries
    JoAnn employees are taught to cut to the exact amount, but some are sloppy. I have had fleece recut because the amount I ask for is the amount I need, not two inches less on one end. It does get you a dirty look, but I don't care. They are also taught to cut woven plaids on a line, not on the fold, but how many of today's employees recognize a woven plaid? My LQS owner cuts a little extra, but her husband and daughter are more exact. If I need 9", I buy 1/3 yard to allow for shrinkage as I am a prewasher now. I do find more shrinkage in width than length so I could probably get by with the 1/4 yard.

How do you get what you are paying for? Ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Both 1/4 yard wof cuts and fat quarters have their benefits depending on the pattern. I buy 1/4 yards if doing strips that are cut WOF or if I need a smaller piece. I buy fat quarters if I need a fatter piece for a quilt or a small project. There are a lot of small seeing projects that call for 2 fat quarters staked to cut the pattern pieces. Of course, sometimes I buy fat quarters just because they are pretty. No one else has the pretty fat quarter addiction, right?

So if you ask for a quarter of a yard, you just assume you're getting 9" of usable fabric?
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    Go to the stores that rip the fabric. This gives you exactly what you want. The crooked cuts to the straight of grain are because of the way the fabric is loaded on the bolts. Machine stretch the fabric as it winds....

I don't know if any stores around here rip. I've been tempted to ask, but so far never ahve.
    U N T I E

I watch them lay out the fabric and then make them measure from the shortest part. They get annoyed with me too. I tell them that I want a yard, a full 36". Not 36" at one end and 32" at the other.
    I had a cutter tell me they couldn't do it and I asked them politely to get a manager. The piece in question was horribly cut previously and if I hadn't made a fuss the cutter was going to give me a really weird shaped piece. The manager came and told her to do what I said.

Reverse psychology - I tell the cutter that their shop is the best one in the area when it comes to cutting, and then describe what I mean by best. When I'm done, they know what I expect and most often I get it. But it doesn't work every time...

They sure wouldn't like me if that happened! I want what I'm paying for, but especially at today's fabric prices. If the person cutting the fabric cannot measure properly they don't belong behind the cutting counter.

The people behind the cutting counter at Joann's are extremely stingy in their measurements, and I'm sure they've been trained to be that way, but I get disgusted when I get home and find that I have several inches less than I paid for, even before I wash it, so I'm also picky about who cuts my fabric.

Then there's the cost of gas these days, and they know that most people won't come back and complain. Ok, so I sound cheap...but it's my money, not theirs.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    ...... Customer service needs to be improved and it's up to the customer to set the standards.
    I love this statement. Let's all get it written on our checks!!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    I think some employees are trained to try to stretch the fabric as much as they can before cutting it, too!

The reason for poorly cut fabric has all to do with the Joann's and other large fabric retailers not having as many stores in our area. I live in the 7th largest city in the USA and we only have 2 Joanns in the whole city. Now why do you suppose that is? Could it be because of the POOR customer service, and the teaching every employee to cut fabric EXACTLY as ordered, not what is straight or of the fariest amount to the customer. What do you think the price of fabric at Joanns would be if they stuck to the market of 3x cost across the board, instead of jacking the price and offering a coupon? LOL

Rolled eyeballs and dirty looks from clerks! They are doing what they are taught. I don't go to Joann's anymore! I end up feeling like an ogre for asking for a full measure.

I always buy more than the instructions call for. I can use the extra, if there is any after squaring, for other projects. I've not had many problems with the cuts at the Jo-Ann's I go to, they at least make an effort to make straight cuts and always cut a bit more than requested; but at Hancock's I've had the most awful cuts and they just go merrily along, cutting everything by "eye". I've asked the manager, who was cutting, to please make sure she cut the fabric straight, she said ok, and cut the most off-kilter piece I've ever gotten. I've even suggested (a few times) that they use a straight edge and they looked at me like I had 3 heads!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I absolutely would NOT put up with that.They have to cut pretty straight .At $10.00 a yard,I will get what I pay for.I don't expect more,but I want what I pay for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast