Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 yd-----WOF

OH NO not me I don't buy fat quarters just because they are pretty not me ..................ha ha......... a friend calls me the fat quarter queen....................................lol

I do alot of applique and do use them up.....................
    Becky

Blog Entries
    i carry a pocket sized tape measure with me wherever i go and use it to measure my cuts right at the cutting table. i dont shop joanns very often at all because it is farther than i like but once the clerk had to recut 3 pieces of fabric because she didnt make sure it was straight and what i asked for. i stood at the counter and measured it showing her where her error was in making sure both ends were even before cutting but she wouldnt listen so recut she did.

i no longer wait until i get home to check my fabric cuts. i learned my lesson well to measure at the cutting table. my lqs will cut about 11 inches of fabric when i buy quarter cuts and about 6 inches of fabric when i buy an eighth of a yard cut (for my postage stamp quilts). i love them and they may give me an inch or so more if it is a clearance fabric.

ladies get you a small purse size tape measure to take with you when buying fabric. it is a wonderful tool to have.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
    I guess the best way would be to stand right there and ask them to be very careful about the 9 inches or.....buy a little more.
    I always re-measure the piece before I put it in my basket. If it isn't the right size, I ask them to re-cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
    I'm with you, I stand there and watch them like a hawk. Then I take the piece and place the folded edge to the selvedge and if it isn't the same width I ask them to remeasure and recut if it isn't 9" at both the fold and selvedge. I also have taken back fabric thay isn't cut properly or shrinks and twists so badly when washed it's not even near 9". JoAnn's is famous for sloppy cutting in my town, plus the gals are a bit rude. My LQS usually overcuts by a few inches or throws in the last few inches on the bolt instead of offering them to me at 50% off.
    I have only been to the JoAnn's (off Hwy 70) once and I noticed there was a problem with the employees. A lot of tension.

Blog Entries
    Well I like your idea about the tape measure Havplenty. One of my peeves about cutting out anything I'm working with it the material not being square. It really buggs me. So your idea about checking right at the cutting table is a great idea.
    Abiding in the Vine

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    If I need 9" of fabric, I NEVER get just 1/4 yard. 1/3 yard just costs a smidgen more. Even getting a 1/3, you have to watch to see that both ends are cut straight.
    I agree. Unless its so peculiar I can't IMAGINE ever using it again, I get 1/2 yd. Then there's some left over in case I screw up, or at least for a scrap quilt, or another project.

I used to stand there while they cut it and if the beginning edge wasn't right, I'd ask her to straighten it up so I'll get a full quarter yard. I don't see why I should have to pay double to get the cut I want. Nowadays I get most of my fabric online from Connecting Threads and they've been good.

I usually always buy more than I need. The only time I buy 1/4 yd. is if I'm just gonna make yo-yo's.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by An Arm Long View Post
    I've had that same thing happen. I always buy 1/4 to 1/2 yard extra anyway for shrinkage when I wash and for squaring up.
    Me, too, tho the "cutters" around here are usually pretty good about making sure you get the full width.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I always buy several yards at a time, never buy small pieces unless its a remanent, then I just use it for scrappy quilts, or to go with something to match some I already have. Out of all the fabrics I have I don't think I have gotten but a few bad cuts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It seems to me that in the shops I go to, both the chain stores and the LQS, the clerks are trying to do a conscientious job. I just expect some shrinkage and buy a little more than I need. Some patterns will state that they are allowing for shrinkage and the yardage given is generous, so that's another consideration to look for.

This thread reminded me of something we were taught in sewing class in the dark ages. When you bought new fabric, you not only washed it (which at that time might have still included wringers in some people's homes, followed by flapping on a clothes line), but when it was almost dry there was one more step: You would get a helper and the two of you would pull the corners to get the weave back into proper alignment. Apparently, way back when, that was just the norm, but store clerks who didn't cut carefully along the grain could expect to lose business.

QM
    I buy most of my fabric at 2 places that are VERY careful. I would have no qualms about insisting on getting what I am paying for, but that's me. At the price of fabrics, one should get what one is paying for. That said, I always buy a bit extra because I know I make errors too.

Right!!!!!!!!!
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Quote Originally Posted by sherryl57 View Post
    I absolutely would NOT put up with that.They have to cut pretty straight .At $10.00 a yard,I will get what I pay for.I don't expect more,but I want what I pay for.
    In what other store would any of you take less than you pay for?? Gallon of milk, gas.....head of lettuce, sweater...hmmmmmmmm...why oh why would you allow it at the fabric store?

Just keep reminding yourself.."I AM THE CUSTOMER" "I AM THE REASON YOU ARE HERE AND HAVE A JOB"

Why not watch when they cut the fabric and suggest they straighten it before cutting your piece / I have had to do that and it didn't cause a problem for the cutter , and I was happy too .

The only way to get the straight grain at the fabric counter is to have it torn, I count on losing about 4 to 8 inches when they cut it "squared" because it is ALWAYS off grain on the bolt.
    pat design

Just curious what they do when you return the fabric? I thought there were NO returns once fabric was cut.
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
    Just curious what they do when you return the fabric? I thought there were NO returns once fabric was cut.
    I'm sure it goes right into the remnant bin. So BEWARE! " Remnants" is what you get!

all of need to get a part time job at JoAnn and see what it is like . Walk in our shoes

Quote Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
    all of need to get a part time job at JoAnn and see what it is like . Walk in our shoes
    JoAnn's would not hire me because I'd insist on cuts being straight and they don't have time for that
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I have not read this complete thread, but in my many years of sewing I have never received less fabric than I bought. Usually, I receive an inch or more extra fabric. Could it be that I am fortunate to live in the South?

Quote Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
    Actually I think most people would benefit from working some kind of a retail job at least once in their lives. I worked in a book/video rental store and once had a woman have a screaming fit at me because I didn't have a pen for *her* to write a check with. Retail is hard work with low pay.

That said, I have never encountered anyone in a JoAnn's that was less than friendly and as helpful as they could be.

Power Poster
    As an employee - I'd rather have the customers irate at me than my employers fire me!

Sometimes the employees have to do what they are told - even if it seems stupid to them and to us!

Most of us know - or will learn - that it is up to us to make good fabric choices.

I would say - over the years - that I've ended up with 'more' than i've paid for than what I've been 'shorted'

It seems kind of odd - when we purchase things that are sold by the yard -
    if we end up 1/8 inch short - we have hissy fits - if we get 'extra' - we act like we are entitled to it.

For almost everything else - if we get 'exactly' what is listed - we accept it and go on with our lives.

I don't know what to say about fabrics purchased on-line. One can't see them to check them out.

We need to learn to look at the fabric BEFORE it is cut - and then decide whether it is 'worthy' of being purchased and brought home.

That said, some stores and cutters are easier to work with than others.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
    The only way to get the straight grain at the fabric counter is to have it torn, I count on losing about 4 to 8 inches when they cut it "squared" because it is ALWAYS off grain on the bolt.
    When fabric is torn, I count on 'losing' at least one inch on each end. Some fabrics find being torn painful.

I find that usually the way my request is responded to, is in direct poportion to way I requested it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast