Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machine >

Embroidery Machine

Embroidery Machine

Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM
BMP

I was gifted a Bernina Aurora 440QE. My cosuin passed away very un expectantly last year just after she bought it. Her husband just sent everything to me (she had all the acces and over 100 spools of emb thread,lap top computer and things I have no idea what they are). I found a fairly close by dealer who willing to teach me to use it and my first lesson is Monday.
I was hoping to see someone else who might have one to sort of help me if I had a question.

I am very happy to have gotten it as I am pretty sure I would have never been able to afford one to purchase myself.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM

I just purchased that machine. I settled on it because I can use all of the software that I had for my Bernina 650 on it and since it uses a USB stick also I can use designs that required a Magic Box that my new computer won't operate. The bigger sewing area will come in handy and I spent the extra money for the addtion extra large hoop. The salesman told me it was for doing splint designs. I wanted it because I can sew out three of the smaller designs without rehooping. I like the free standing machine because I can do other sewing on my other machine at the same time. If you haven't had an embroidery machine before you will quickly learn that the stabilizers, real embroidery threads and additional designs will be your biggest expense. There are lots of places on line to download designs for free or a small fee. Being able to use the USB stick makes that a real bonus. I have had an embroidery machine since the early 90's. I have made quilts, decorated clothing and made numerous gifts with it. I recently sewed out the names of all 250 members of my church congregation to be used on a 250th Anniversary quilt we made.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM

I have a Viking Designer 1 for about 6 yrs. I love it, the hoops are 2x2 to 6x10. I agree with getting the most you can afford and having a great support staff at my dealer is counts too. I'm trying to decide if I want to get a larger embroidery machine or a longarm machine.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I just purchased that machine. I settled on it because I can use all of the software that I had for my Bernina 650 on it and since it uses a USB stick also I can use designs that required a Magic Box that my new computer won't operate. The bigger sewing area will come in handy and I spent the extra money for the addtion extra large hoop. The salesman told me it was for doing splint designs. I wanted it because I can sew out three of the smaller designs without rehooping. I like the free standing machine because I can do other sewing on my other machine at the same time. If you haven't had an embroidery machine before you will quickly learn that the stabilizers, real embroidery threads and additional designs will be your biggest expense. There are lots of places on line to download designs for free or a small fee. Being able to use the USB stick makes that a real bonus. I have had an embroidery machine since the early 90's. I have made quilts, decorated clothing and made numerous gifts with it. I recently sewed out the names of all 250 members of my church congregation to be used on a 250th Anniversary quilt we made.
I think I counted at least 25 rolls of stabilizer it seems there is quite the variety. I am sure they are all used for different applications. Also there was approx 10 cd's with designs. There is a huge oval hoop that she never even used yet.