Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery machines and qullting >

Embroidery machines and qullting

Embroidery machines and qullting

Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased a new computer as my old one just didn't not have enough memory to run the new applications available. This one has more than 10 times the memory and Windows 7 operating system, It is driving me crazy. It doesn't want to work with any of my external devices like my printer. I was able to purchase a CD from HP that should make my printer compatible but I have other problems.

First the new computer does not have enough places to plug in all of my other gadgets. The most important one is my Magic Box which allowed me to convert most embroidery to a card that would work in my Bernina Deco embroidery machine. I talked to OESD today and they told me there was no way to run it with Windows 7. GRRRRRRR! I have literaly thousands of dollars worth of designs on CDs that I either purchased or downloaded. As well as at least a hundred spools of embroidery thread and drawers full of various stabilizers. I belonged to the Martha Pullen Embroidery club for three or four years. When I purchased my previous computer it did not have a floppy drive. All of the embroidery I had saved on floppies had to be transfered to CDs. That cost me probably $100 but at least it was possible. Now I am going to have to purchase another monitor for my old computer and find a place to set it up so I can access my embroidery CDs.

Am I the only quilter/sewer/embroiderer who has these problems?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:33 PM

I didn't have that problem, but with the changes in new technology it is something most of us will eventually face. They are not making new technology compatible with the previous one. I suggest you are on freecycle for a monitor rather then buying a new one. You can access a local computer repair shop. They usually have them around and will probably charge you a lot less. Also, contact the makers of the embroidery machine and the Magic Box. They are probably working on some conversion or adapter. If you have invested that much, imagine how much they have invested and will not be willing to loose just because Windows changed heir design.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:38 PM

I know nothing about your embroidery machine brand/model, Magic Box or computer-to-sewing machine situation, but I DO know that you can buy a high-speed USB port hub ... assuming you are talking about needing more USB ports than your computer has available. I bought a 7-port hub when I found myself with more USB cables to plug in than I had available ports on my computer.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Weezie,

Thanks for the information about the USB hubs. I actually had found one of those but my problem was that the Magic Box had a serial connection and the only one of those on my new Computer was where the monitor plugs in. I need a monitor to see what embroidery pattern I am choosing etc. I did manage to purchase a converter that allows the serial plug to be used with a usb connection.

I will get another monitor from the local shop that carries things that the bigger store doesn't. It is staffed with "geeks" who really know their way around a computer. My husband and I decided to set up the old computer downstairs to be used just for my embroidery stuff. After my earlier post I actually found my original installation CD. I had put it away so carefully I couldn't find it for several days even though I searched what I thought was everywhere.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I just got Windows 7 too and it's not working with my printer. I am not happy with W7. I think I'm going to have to take my computer in and get it worked on now.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Banned

when i replaced my laptop i used the old one just for machine embroidery files and software.

i too have many designs and didn't want to bog down the new laptop with all that software/data.

the old laptop runs smoothly and quickly since it only has embroidery data and i keep it in my studio right by my sewing machine.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Administrator

your monitor does not plug into a Serial port. a VGA/SVGA port connection looks similar to serial, but they are not the same.

the USB hub is a good idea - espcially if you can find an external (as in you plug it in and don't have to open your computer case) one at a good price. you may also be able to purchase an internal I/O (input/output) card. they normall include both a serial and a parallel (old fashioned printer) connections. i don't know if they're available as external or only as internal. if you go internal they are super easy to install.

check with the dealer who sold you the computer.

those whose printers don't communicate with Windows 7 should check the drivers/support pages at the printer manufacturer's website. you may find updated drivers and other software to download for free.