Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machines Really That Great? >

Embroidery Machines Really That Great?

Embroidery Machines Really That Great?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Bunny Hill and other people still produce patterns for hand embroidery. Just google it and you will see many companies. I also still like to hand embroider even though I have two bernina's that have a module and nice built-ins. I like them both. I agree that they each have their place and are appropriate for certain tasks on both sides of the spectrum. Just like quilting. I like the hand quilting and the machine. There is skill involved in both. Just because it is machine done, doesn't make it automatic.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM

I just love my embroidery machine it opened a whole new world of sewing to me , I very much admire those that do hand work and adore it, if given to me but machine embroidery is my first love now .
Old 12-08-2015, 06:32 PM

I love my embroidery machines--they are sewing machines with the added benefit of doing machine embroidery. I never learned to do hand embroidery and this works for me. I did do cross stitch but have been able to do some amazing stitch outs with the machines.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 AM

I love my embroidery machine, it's yet another way of being creative. I've had a lot of fun working with Battenberg lace. creating Xmas ornaments and jewelry (bracelets, earrings, etc.), ornaments using mylar. as well as the other usual items in the linens category for gifts. It's also fun to create the flat xmas ornaments out of felt, using the In-the-hoop technique where the design actually sews the font and back pieces together with satin stitching. along with the design on the ornament face. I have made the latter as small gifts for several years, enclosing them in Christmas cards to my friends and family, just a little surprise gift for them to hang on their tree, the projects are endless, really, and it's so much fun working with those delicious colors of thread!

Last edited by ShirlR; 12-09-2015 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Better descriptive wording
Old 12-09-2015, 03:25 AM

It would be well worth finding a class or demo day and try out machine embroidery for yourself if you are curious.
I may not have created anything to make the cost of my machine worthwhile but I have certainly enjoyed it enough to consider it well worth the money I spent to buy it. I love the things that I am able to create on it and have found everyone that I have made gifts for has been very pleased with the items that I have made them.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:34 AM

I love hand embroidery and do not have an embroidery machine, though I imagine it's a nice option to have one. I think it's personal preference. Would love to have a Babylock Melody model though it's not an embroidery machine.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 AM

If I tried to justify the cost of an embroidery machine - I absolutely could not. But, then again, how can you justify something that gives you enjoyment? I don't have the patience for hand embroidery though I do admire what people are able to do - including those tiny stitches and not being able to see their miniscule knots (you can see mine without your glasses) but there is no way I could do some of the amazing designs I have done by hand - and in less than a day! Get you a beginner one and do your quilt labels. Then, if you like what you can do (and there is a lot) you can decide if you want to move up to a bigger stitching area. To me, if you are questioning it, then you DO have an interest. Do you have a friend that has a machine? She would love to give you lessons, I'm sure.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:36 AM

PS You can buy thread from under $1 (Metro)per spool (1100 yds) and I have used both the cheap stuff and the more expensive stuff (Floriani & Madera & Isacord) in my Pfaff (former) and Babylock (current) with no problems. A lot of quilt stores have Anita Goodesign workshops and they provide the machines - if you don't know anyone that has one.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I hate the look of machine embroidery. It looks soul-less and impersonal and reminds me of those ugly patches of embroidery you can buy at the fabric stores. Now, hand embroidery is another story. It's lovely. Don't just get an embroidery machine because you think everyone else has one. Only consider one if you love the look of machine embroidery.
I hate to say it but I do agree. And I will apologize to any I may have hurt. My embroidery is definitely not something to brag about but it is mine, not a machines.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am a dino too. I have no intention of ever getting an embroidery machine. I appreciate the nice work that members post photos of but the expensive of all that thread is horrid.
I'm a dino too. My husband bought one when they first came out. He played with it. I had no interest in it. Thread and patterns are very expensive.