Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Embroidery question

Sorry, this may be a dumb question. I'm picturing an all white block quilt, maybe different color sashing and each block being embroidered and quilted around the perimeter of the quilt.
    Would this work? I know technically it would, but do people actually use embroidery as the quilting?

Blog Entries
    There are many embroidery designs made just for this purpose :D:D:D

hmmmm Apparently I need to buy an embroidery machine. So, you can embroid thru three layers, right?

Yes you can embroider thru the quilt sandwich with an embroidery machine. I do it all the time on my Janome 300E. I use a sticky back stabilizer in the hoop and then stick my quilt piece over that to quilt.

Wow. This sounds perfect! Thank you. I'd love to see a quilt done if anyone has pics they'd share.

I do this all the time. Here's one I did on my Bernina 830 using an embroidery design. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-83293-1.htm

Yep, it would wok, I do it all the time!! I do it just to the quilt top prior to being quilted together.

So... no basting?? Sweet!

Thank you for that picture, Candace.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I do this all the time. Here's one I did on my Bernina 830 using an embroidery design. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-83293-1.htm
    Wow I have an embroidery machine and never thought to try this - and thanks for asking - I learned something new too!

I'm new to embroidery and I'm loving this idea woohooooo

Absolutely...that's why I spent all that money on my emb machine.

What kind do you have HobbyCat - or anyone else who does this.
    I saw one on sale at Joannes a couple months ago, but didn't pay much attention to it bc I'm a quilter - not an embroider-er! ha, little did I know

So...you have to use the stabilizer on each section also?

Can you use something cheaper than the store stabilizer like interfacing or something? The stabilizer we get from the sewing shop is way expensive for a full size quilt.

Would "redwork" items also work for this since they are a one color project?

Wow this is going to be cool (hopefully)

I make embroidery designs specifically for this purpose. They are redwork style designs with no jumps. I do it all the time.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by digitalartquilts
    I make embroidery designs specifically for this purpose. They are redwork style designs with no jumps. I do it all the time.

Julia
    Julia, do you do the embroidery and them make a quilt? Or do you sandwich your quilt and then do embroidery

I have a combo sewing/emb machine Husqvarna Viking SE...Also have a emb machine only EM10 which is also Husq.
    You can emb both ways...Just the top using stablizer and then sandwiching...I buy my stabalizer (Tear Away by Pellon) at Joann's...1.99 yd use coupon and buy the whole bolt 15 yds.
    If you embro after you sandwich I use the same color thread in my bobbin since the design will then be on both sides and you don't have to use stablizer because your thickness of the sandwich stablizes it...

make the quilt first

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    I have a combo sewing/emb machine Husqvarna Viking SE...Also have a emb machine only EM10 which is also Husq.
    You can emb both ways...Just the top using stablizer and then sandwiching...I buy my stabalizer (Tear Away by Pellon) at Joann's...1.99 yd use coupon and buy the whole bolt 15 yds.
    If you embro after you sandwich I use the same color thread in my bobbin since the design will then be on both sides and you don't have to use stablizer because your thickness of the sandwich stablizes it...
    Thank you. That's what I wanted to know

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Thank you. That's what I wanted to know :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Someday, maybe someday, I have one of those enticing embroidery machines. Until then, I will just drool over all of yours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    Yes you can embroider thru the quilt sandwich with an embroidery machine. I do it all the time on my Janome 300E. I use a sticky back stabilizer in the hoop and then stick my quilt piece over that to quilt.
    Isn't sticky back hard to remove all the paper from the back side? Just curious as I've never tried it. Thanks

I have read on other posts that if you want to use your emb machine to quilt that you should have a large area to lay the quilt on so it doesn't drag on the machine..alot of people say they place their emb machine on the floor to keep this from happening and they have great results...I haven't tried this yet but will have to!!

Quote Originally Posted by labtechkty
    I have read on other posts that if you want to use your emb machine to quilt that you should have a large area to lay the quilt on so it doesn't drag on the machine..alot of people say they place their emb machine on the floor to keep this from happening and they have great results...I haven't tried this yet but will have to!!
    Great tip!

I do it all the time on my Janome 11K. If you use a stablizer just for the block you can use any stablizer you like. If you are doing a 3 layer you can use washaway and just pin on your block. There are a lot of quilt patterns you can buy to use on blank blocks too. Just have fun.

I have been buying on color thread designs for this purpose. Now I know how to get them done. You guys are great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast