Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery thread stained mess >

Embroidery thread stained mess

Embroidery thread stained mess

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Happy it all worked out for you Karen!!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Am reading all this with trepidation. Just - finally - finished redwork Snow People using Turkey Red perle cotton. Rinsed out the Transfer Eze and didn't notice till it was dry that I have specks of brownish-red all over the 18" unbleached muslin square. (Thought I was sooo smart to use the Turkey Red. It is beautiful and I have just the right fabrics for borders.) Arghh! Am hesitating to assemble the pillow now; now sure whose advice to follow. Surely, I don't want it to be pink!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cuttingedge View Post
Try covering it with plain yoghurt. It should draw the dye out.
Ooooo tell me more.....would my homemade yoghurt do the trick or is it something in the "store bought" stuff that does the magic?

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 12-10-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Smile Thank you for the great tip

Originally Posted by pamabla View Post
I had this same problem recently with a long ago Christmas cross-stitch project, which I love. There was a lot of burgundy floss used and when I tried to gently wash this, all the burgundy bled! I went to the store to look for the color magnet type products, but most had to be used in a washing machine. I stumbled upon a product at Wal-Mart, called Carbonite--it comes in a small box and needs to be mixed with water. I placed my piece in the solution and the bleeding was immediately removed--but it did lighten the color a bit too. But at least the piece still looks good and I was able to salvage it. Good luck.
I just finished a year-long embroidery project using DMC no. 8 Pearle Cotton that indicated it was color safe. When I washed the blocks to remove the Sicky Fabric Solvy I had used, every block bled--I was beside myself so went to the Internet to try and find a fix if possible. I read a number of posts and chose your solution. I ran to Walmart, got Carbona, followed the directions, and no more bleed. Thank you for your suggestion, it saved my project.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:59 PM

I had the same success using this product. Learned my lesson about DMC colorfast thread!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grams Barb View Post
I just finished a year-long embroidery project using DMC no. 8 Pearle Cotton that indicated it was color safe. When I washed the blocks to remove the Sicky Fabric Solvy I had used, every block bled--I was beside myself so went to the Internet to try and find a fix if possible. I read a number of posts and chose your solution. I ran to Walmart, got Carbona, followed the directions, and no more bleed. Thank you for your suggestion, it saved my project.
glad you had positive results and thanks for the reminder of the product