Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery thread >

Embroidery thread

Embroidery thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Yes, I've used it many times as well as their metallic threads. Seems my quilting machine loves the metallic threads more so than the embroidery machine. Maybe broke once during the entire time it was stitching out and you know how fast a quilt machine can go. Mine is robotic so the speed changes constantly but I think broke one time is all I can remember.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM

I wouldn't use rayon embroidery thread in anything that is going to have use or be washed a lot. I did this about 10 years ago on the quilt. Now, I have a quilt with the quilting coming out a will, I guess, have to requilt it at some point. Rayon embroidery thread isn't made for much use an repeated washings. It's fine for wall hangings and garments that don't get washed a lot. But it doesn't appear to stand up well to repeated washings when used for quilting.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I wouldn't use rayon embroidery thread in anything that is going to have use or be washed a lot. I did this about 10 years ago on the quilt. Now, I have a quilt with the quilting coming out a will, I guess, have to requilt it at some point. Rayon embroidery thread isn't made for much use an repeated washings. It's fine for wall hangings and garments that don't get washed a lot. But it doesn't appear to stand up well to repeated washings when used for quilting.
I guess I should have clarified what I've used. I almost exclusively use Madeira poly thread(40 and 60wt, I used 40wt for the quilt) for machine embroidery so that's one of the embroidery threads I've used on my long arm. The two others are Metro 40 wt poly that I got from my HQ dealer and the last was a brand from Amazon that I can't remember. All three worked very well. A little bit of tweaking to get the right tension was needed but that's normal when changing thread any way.

Cari
Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 PM

I do not long arm quilt but the last quilt I took to a quilter she used embroidery thread and it is beautiful. She uses it usually on quilts that have been machine embroidered.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:36 AM

I use 40 weight embroidery thread in my Babylock Sashiko machine because it's what my Babylock dealer recommended. It works fine, but this is not a longarm machine, more like a dsm.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 AM

I LOVE using machine embroidery thread for my FMQ, although I don't have a long arm but I am getting a 20" Bailey, it should be here Monday.