Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EMPTY SPOOLS OF THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    These are fun to make - it shows using wooden spools, but I'm sure you could use the plastic ones: http://makeminebeautiful.blogspot.co...christmas.html
    I have some wood spools saved...thanks for this link...will make a good gift for sewing friends.

Plastic ones I have thrown...but good idea to see if the schools want them.

A family friend was interested in old Virginia crafts. She showed me the spool dolls she had made and dressed in the old way...like making a doll for a little girl. She also crocheted granny blankets for all of her grandchildren.

These are fun to make - it shows using wooden spools, but I'm sure you could use the plastic ones: http://makeminebeautiful.blogspot.co...christmas.html
    I followed the link, and just LOVE those ornaments she made! Like I need another project ... :lol:

That is soo pretty. How long did it take for you to put it together. I use to do trees with baby food jars.

my daughter and I both quilt (shared quilting room) so we have a bit more empty spools then most so we save them and then we give them to another daughter that owns a day care. the kids love them

I use them to put embrodiery thread on. I have a ton of woden ones I've kept over the years.

Spool garlands---spray paint, glue fabric and lace on for ornaments, toys for GKs....

they make wonderful blocks for children. If you don't have children or grands, donate them to a day care. I once made a christmas tree out of spools, one of my kids made a wreath candle holder.

Blog Entries
    I, too, have kept the wooden ones. Some are quite amazing just for their history! A 15 spool of boiled cotton is just too cool. I know... I'm a geek.

Blog Entries
    When I was a young kid, we weren't very well off, so my grandma made some kind of little "man" with them; a large spool for the head and body, small spools for the arms and legs. I think the center holes were threaded with elastic, because I could make it bounce and jump. I don't know how she put it together, but I spent many hours on the floor, playing with my toy while she quilted. She would sell her quilts for extra money, and when the spool were empty, she'd make more of the "thread men" for us to play with. I hadn't thought of that for years, so thanks for bringing this memory out today :)

Blog Entries
    I give them to the pets,or throw away the only ones I keep are the wooden ones, Have a few of those.

what a cute idea thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I glued about 6 of them to a piece of sanded wood , and put pens, pencils, ect into the holes as a desk organizer..

I don't save the plastic ones but I bought a bag of the wood ones at a craft sale a few weeks ago. I was going to put them in my old blue Mason jar for decoration in my sewing room. Now I can't find the Mason jar, hope I didn't give it to the goodwill.

beautiful avatar

Some time ago I saw a thing about useing empty spools to wrap bind on until you were ready to put it on the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I made ornaments out of them and decorated a small artificial "sewing" tree for Christmas. I used safety pins, measuring tapes, sewing notions! It was cute and I got lots of compliments on it.
    I also make a binding tool to hang "binding" on around my neck to bind my quilts.

I haven't thought of this in years, but when I was a child, my Mother would give me spools and a bowl of soapy water to play with. I can't even begin to tell you how many bubbles came from those spools. I need to get that going with my own GD. Much fun!

I once saw a victorian doll bed made out of spools and painted. It was soooo cute! I have thought I'd try my hand at it and have saved lots of spools, but I only have grandson, and they aren't very interested in doll beds :roll:

Thanks for this link. These will make great ornaments for family and teachers that the kids can do. I can't wait to get to a craft store and start collecting items!

My empty spools are used with fabric paint to make designs for new fabric and I also glue unmounted rubber stamp images to the bottoms for handles to stamp with. Moosegirl

Now that is really cool.....35 years ago....WOW :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I use them to wrap my embroidery floss around. Especially if I use only 3 strands instead of 6. I hate it when it get tangled up!

Bunkhouse Quilt Shop NH has a large container. You stand behind a line and try to toss the empty spool of thread into the container. If you get it in, you receive 10% off your next purchase.

gail pinet

I took them and egg cartons that I had been saving to the kindergarten class. Teach was happy to get them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast