Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: EMPTY SPOOLS OF THREAD

I use a lot of pearle cotton when making prayer quilts and those skeins can really get tangled when you start pulling them apart. So, when I have a new skein, while it's nice and tidy, I wrap them around an empty spool. Works great and saves a ton of time to untangle the thread.

Blog Entries
    Nephew made a corner whatnot shelf with old wooden spools and used dowels to hold them together.Thin plywood for shelves.

Blog Entries
    Only save what I need , maybe about 4 or 5 to rewrapp quilting thread on when I have ladies in to quilt, so you don't have to be passing one spool around all the time.

Blog Entries
    wonderful for rolling bits of lace and trim etc around. Wish I had a few dozen. I do dolls for kids with cancer and have all this trim to organize, and it is hard the right trims some times in all the bags I've put it in.

If you decide you don't want them, please send them my way. giggle

seriously, just roll bias or whatever around the spools and secure with a short straight pin

Some people decorate or paint them and make 'spool doll' arms and legs using the different sizes.

good luck.

Kitty toys!

The serger spools make great angels. You can buy just a doll head or you can use a wooden ball that you have painted a face on. Cover the spool with a tightly gathered piece of fabric with the gather at the, attach head. Tie a ribbon around neck to cover gather, make or buy a pair of wings to attach on back. If you do a nice job you will find it on the top of the Christmas tree since the spool is hollow. I use feathers for wings. I just can't save enough spools for all those who want angels.

They roll just right and the dog loves to go after them...later I find them under the couch or somewhere she has chased them...probably should just pitch them.

I buy cones of threads, then my husband winds the thread with a drill onto my empty spools. Get my thread for my money buying cones.Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by irma tapia
    What do you do with your empty spools of thread? I have been collecting them for awhile and I really don't know what to do with them, any suggestions :?: :roll:

I'm a pre-kindergarten teacher so I save them just in case we might find a craft to use them for or an activity.

I got a boat load of wooden spools, when I got my grandmothers sewing stuff. And at the time I was looking for knobs for my laundry room/ sewing room cabinets. I spray painted them in colors to match and used them as my cabinets knobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by irma tapia
    What do you do with your empty spools of thread? I have been collecting them for awhile and I really don't know what to do with them, any suggestions :?: :roll:

I take them to the school and the art teacher uses them for projects.

I just throw them in a large pickle jar along with old thread spools. Just little decorative for a sewing room.

I buy cotton yarn to make dish/wash cloths and they come in the cone shaped spools.....thanks for this idea! :lol:

Blog Entries
    our guild collects them, they put a small amount of thread on them to help teach "impaired" women to hand sew

Blog Entries
    You can make doll legs, arms, toys, etc. Use as small stools for minature dolls.

I toss them think I already save too much.

I save the large empty spools to wrap left over bias strips that I have pressed to use for stems on my applique. Aslo for celtic work.

I give them to my Granddaughter to play with or rather she comes in my sewing room and takes them.
    I will probably offer them to the School art classes to see if they can use them.

Blog Entries
    I'm starting to save them for my little grandson to use in stacking and building play.

Thanks for all the great tips, have lots of empty spools and was wondering what to do with them. Thanks Irma for posting this question. ♥

Blog Entries
    If anyone has any wooden spools for sell or trade, please contact me. I have been a kindergarten teacher for 1,000 years, and we use them for multiple purposes.

Blog Entries
    I'd be more than happy to buy/trade for wooden spools. I have been a kindergarten teacher forever, and we use them for all kinds of projects & activities.

I use them to wind strings of beads or ribbons on,( or bits of fancy stuff like that). I sometimes put them into wall hangings in decorative manner and the rest go to the local kindergarten so that they can string them or count them or use them in craft.
    When I was a child my father made French knitting tools out of them for us to play with. He also used to attach them to all of the doors in the house at our height so that we could use them as a door handle.

Shirley,

I love your idea using the spool. . . I always have trouble keeping my tape measure in place when not in use. . . Thanx for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by M.E.H.
    I give mine to my Grandchildren to play with.
    me too, with a couple of empty peanut butter jars, dgs is occupied moving them back & forth for an hour at a time...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast