Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Empty spools from your thread >

Empty spools from your thread

Empty spools from your thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
My boyfriend has a pet quail so I figured he could play with that (the quail, not the bf). Well, the quail didn't quite get it. So now the bf blows through the spool (it's an aurifil) and makes this whistling sound that irritates the quail. He (bf now) loves it...
Men (boys) can be so easily entertained... :lol:
As for mine.....cat toys here also.
However back when they use to be wooden I would see them used at craft fairs as arms and legs for cloth made dolls.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Glue the spools together so that there are 4 in the bottom row, 3 in the next, 2 in the next, 1 in the next. Glue the rows together. Take two more spools and glue them one on top of the other. Glue them on the bottom in the middle. Get a wooden star and put it on the top of the row with 1. Make bows from narrow strips of your quilting fabrics and glue them wherever you want on the spools.

Voila! you have a "quilter's Christmas Tree" You can make these for gifts!

I have one that I bought at a craft show many years ago. It is my favorite Christmas Decoration!

OmaForFour
(Yes, I have 4 grandchildren!)
Love that idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 AM

our guild at the last quilt show, strung the spools and used to block the different sections from one another.......

looked really cute
Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Ok, I was wondering.. what does everyone do with the empty spools? I tossed three yesterday and kept thinking I wonder what could be done with these..surely art projects? I know recycle to the end.. but someone was requesting them for a science project in the classifieds and it made me think maybe there are ideas. Post them so we can all rethink our tosses of all those wonderful little spools!
DID YOU SEE THIS THREAD ON THE BUY/SELL/TRADE COLUMN ?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37333-1.htm
Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 PM

I give my empty spools to my parrot to play with. He loves to chew them.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Just thought of this, and I don't even know that it would work, but you could string several spools on a piece of thin rope. Spread peanut butter on the middle parts of the spools and roll in bird seed. Hang from a tree and make some birds happy. They'll be able to land and hang on to the bases of the spools. I suppose you could glue some small dowels to the bases so they had a better perch though.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM

I use them to make a garland for my christmas tree. String them with a wooden ball in between. Use your thread clippings to put into clear glass balls for decorations and you can have a beautiful tree!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:56 PM

Use left over batting and fabric and wrap to make funky beads for necklaces. string with deco yarn or ribbon.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 PM

I had a friend that is very much into model trains. I used to give him my empty spools and he made scenery bits with them. He turned serger cones into trees, smaller spools into fencing, etc.

And yes, I remember the wooden spools being used for "French knitting"...I still have mine from when I was a girl. ;)

Patti
Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 PM

I save all of mine, partly because of sentimentality. When I was a child in the 1940's we had very few toys due to the war & poor family. I would spend hours building houses, castles, etc with the empty spools, I loved those spools.
My children played with them & now grandchildren also play with them or string them on yarn for a necklace. True, they don't play with them as much as I did as a child but it thrils me when they do.