Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Empty spools from your thread >

Empty spools from your thread

Empty spools from your thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I never heard of French knitting. Can you please tell me about it? Maybe show us yours?
Originally Posted by Pzazz
I had a friend that is very much into model trains. I used to give him my empty spools and he made scenery bits with them. He turned serger cones into trees, smaller spools into fencing, etc.

And yes, I remember the wooden spools being used for "French knitting"...I still have mine from when I was a girl. ;)

Patti
Old 02-20-2010, 04:56 PM

What a lovely memory!!!
Originally Posted by Maire
I save all of mine, partly because of sentimentality. When I was a child in the 1940's we had very few toys due to the war & poor family. I would spend hours building houses, castles, etc with the empty spools, I loved those spools.
My children played with them & now grandchildren also play with them or string them on yarn for a necklace. True, they don't play with them as much as I did as a child but it thrils me when they do.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 PM

I save mine sometime they ask for them during bibleschool
I try to keep a lot of craft supplies on hand just in case
Old 02-20-2010, 05:26 PM

I've seen dolls made with the tiny spools (used for the legs and I think arms also). They have a wooden ball for a head, don't know what the body is made of, but when they are dressed in a cute little dress with a bonnet on the head, they are cute as the dickens. Probably not the best 'play toy' and they seem very labor intensive, but they are cute.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I never heard of French knitting. Can you please tell me about it? Maybe show us yours?
Originally Posted by Pzazz
I had a friend that is very much into model trains. I used to give him my empty spools and he made scenery bits with them. He turned serger cones into trees, smaller spools into fencing, etc.

And yes, I remember the wooden spools being used for "French knitting"...I still have mine from when I was a girl. ;)

Patti
Tippy gave a good description of how the spool and headless nails, or brads, are set up. I can't post a pic of mine as it is in a trunk "somewhere" in the garage. :roll: If you google "french knitting on a spool"....there are some good pictorals there.

Patti
Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 PM

You can use the wooden spools to perch handmade pincushions on. In addition to quilter's Christmas trees, you can string them together and make a quilter's wreath. Those you can do in different colors and use them year round.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Check with your elementary school or playground leaders for summer art projects. The teachers or directors come up with all sorts of creative ideas for the children and will probably be very happy to receive the empty spools.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM

I use them to make clowns with the young children really have a ball making up games with or they wear making up dances in Girl Scouts.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM

I agree, with Polly 13 or check with the Kindergarten teachers in your area, they always need supplies for projects.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm hanging on to the wooden spools I have just in case I get a brainstorm or something.(yeah right!) I'm going to give my plastic spools to the art teacher at school. She always says she'll take whatever I have to give her so that's where mine are going.