Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Encouragement >

Encouragement

Encouragement

Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Sorry but I have to disagree with changing the needle, with every project. I only change my needle when it stops working smoothly and quietly. That amount of 'mileage' varies, depending upon what's being sewn. A good quality needle will last through many projects, before it needs replacing. Needless to say, I don't sew over pins or use a fine needle for heavy fabric.

I've been sewing for over 50 years and have an old Kenmore, an inexpensive Brother, and a 'fancy' Janome machine. The only time I frequently changed needles was when I was young and in the habit of sewing over/onto pins. Also had a bad habit of forgetting to change to a large needle, when sewing denim. Lots of needle changing, back then . . . but it was usually because the needle was broken or bent. There was an occasional dull needle but back then, few lasted long enough to get dull.

Last edited by Neesie; 11-13-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shayla View Post
If your wife's machine is at least in good working order, then that is truly all she needs..
He has stated that she doesn't have a machine, she has been sewing everything by hand.

For those who have wondered about her dedication to quilting, just think how frustrated you'd be if you didn't even have a machine.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM

I started with a $75 Kenmore. I had it for almost 20 years and it was great for all types of sewing and quilting. The only reason I have a nicer one today is because my dear grandmother left the money in her will for me to specifically get the machine I wanted. Thank you Grandma. Buy what you can now - she may just love it!!