Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless jelly roll quilt

Hi, all.
    I saw a message on this board awhile back about creating a quilt from a jelly roll by sewing the strips end to end then bringing it end to end and stitching down the length of it, then repeat, and repeat, etc...

Well, I undertook this idea and decided I was going to make it king size (probably should have started with a small quilt first). Hundreds of strips later and a couple weeks, I am almost done - with the first round of stitching down the length. From my figuring, i will have to stitch it down the length 5 times before it is done. But each time, I won't have as much length to stitch, so it should get better as I go.

I've got to say, for anyone looking to undertake this, the most difficult part is how you lay out the strips AFTER you stitch them. Sine you have to take the one giant strip end to end and stitch down the length of it, you have to make sure it is laying flat first (no twists). This is a pain and time consuming. I make sure that as I stitch the length I kept the stitched length folded upon itself in multiple stacks as neatly as possible, so when I get to the next round of bringing the ends together that I take the end from the first stack and from the last and starts stitching - or at least that's my plan... we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else endeavor this pattern on a queen or king?

I've seen this done but have never attempted it. It's on my list. Thanks for the heads up. BTW, I stack my strips the same way for making Bargellos.

Blog Entries
    Yes I made a queen size. I too started out trying to keep the long strip neatly folded, but quickly gave that up with the cat playing with it and the kids tripping over it. So I just worried about the part I was sewing at the time and just cut the twist off at the bottom when I got to it. I only lost a few inches, but my sanity was well worth it.

Blog Entries
    I did one, they called it a super fast jelly roll quilt. I thought I was never going to finish sewing end to end - approx 1700 inches of fabric from end to end.
    Mine took 1 and a half jelly rolls.

I made a full size one but that's the largest I've done. It was lots of fun! :)

can you show a picture? I would love to see it..
    Quote Originally Posted by kclausing
    Hi, all.
    I saw a message on this board awhile back about creating a quilt from a jelly roll by sewing the strips end to end then bringing it end to end and stitching down the length of it, then repeat, and repeat, etc...

Well, I undertook this idea and decided I was going to make it king size (probably should have started with a small quilt first). Hundreds of strips later and a couple weeks, I am almost done - with the first round of stitching down the length. From my figuring, i will have to stitch it down the length 5 times before it is done. But each time, I won't have as much length to stitch, so it should get better as I go.

I've got to say, for anyone looking to undertake this, the most difficult part is how you lay out the strips AFTER you stitch them. Sine you have to take the one giant strip end to end and stitch down the length of it, you have to make sure it is laying flat first (no twists). This is a pain and time consuming. I make sure that as I stitch the length I kept the stitched length folded upon itself in multiple stacks as neatly as possible, so when I get to the next round of bringing the ends together that I take the end from the first stack and from the last and starts stitching - or at least that's my plan... we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else endeavor this pattern on a queen or king?

I just looked back at my calculations. I needed 138 WOF strips. once sewn end to end, that makes it 6072 (not accounting for seam allowances, 6003 inches accounting for seam allowances).

It should finish at 93 x 125 with seam allowances.

Blog Entries
    Here is one that I did last year, it is just under queen size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not much to show yet, still in the stitching mode. Here it is stacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    That is cute.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    That is cute.
    Thanks, it went to my Mom for her birthday.

Blog Entries
    How did you quilt it? I was thinking Free Motion would work best......

I've done it and the hardest part for me is ironing all the seams done when I finished. It's still waiting to be ironed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs
    How did you quilt it? I was thinking Free Motion would work best......
    I did SID on mine, learned some valuable lessons for it being the first time doing that.

Blog Entries
    I like it

I've done a couple of lap quilts for charity using the jelly rolls and I love them. I also did SID on both.

Here is the one I did for charity. I didn't about my ends, I used a bias seam. The thing I forgot to do was cut off the first 20 inches so that your seams don't match up. I did SID through the body and an meandering heart in the border.

I meant to say I didn't abut the ends of the strips.
    Name:  Attachment-207219.jpe
Views: 59
Size:  40.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Oh I love this idea!!!!!

So let me get this straight...you take an entire jelly roll (or I was thinking the Batik's tonga treats...that would work too correct?)...sew the strip ends....either straight across or on the diagnol...(I can see how a batik would look great as a diagnol and a print would look great as straight across)...once you have the entire giant strip, you take the two ends, sew the seam together.

So my questions...do you press after each seam or do you do it all at the end?

Someone mentioned cutting off 20 inches...this is so that you don't get the connecting seams in the same place I assume, does it have to be 20 inches? 10...15...does it make a difference? I'm thinking as long as it's offset but those who have made this...what do you think?

Thanks!!!!

I sewed a stack of strips end-to-end today. I going to alternated the strips with a solid. I'm making up my pattern as I go. Not sure what I will end up with. Probably not what I had in mind when I started but it will be ok.lol.

After making 6 of these for last Christmas, I found one slight change made things easier. I started sewing the long seam at the middle, or folded end. That way, working as fast as I was, if either side were to become twisted, it would be easy to un-twist it, and avoid having to rip out any seams. Here's a picture of a full-sized one I made for me.

That makes sense. I'll keep that in mind for the next one. Thanks for the tip.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I've done a small one and it was fun :)

That's my plan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    Yes I made a queen size. I too started out trying to keep the long strip neatly folded, but quickly gave that up with the cat playing with it and the kids tripping over it. So I just worried about the part I was sewing at the time and just cut the twist off at the bottom when I got to it. I only lost a few inches, but my sanity was well worth it.

After making a rail fence quilt I am pretty sick of sewing strips together. Maybe after I do a pieced quilt I will get back to sewing the rest of my 2" strips.

Blog Entries
    I simply folded mine accordian style, back and forth and I had no problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast