Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: english paper piecing hexagon hand project- 1st blocks

Those are stunning and spectacular!! Hope to see the quilt finished...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
    Those are stunning and spectacular!! Hope to see the quilt finished...
    it'll be a while- i'm only about 1/5 th of the way done with the blocks (120+ blocks) but i will of course share the quilt when i do start putting it together & when it's finished. i love sharing as i go - kind of gives me incentive to keep going
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Its addicting. Abdconsultant turned me onto it but I've never seen these shapes before. Cool.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Each block is a little work of art. This is going to be a stunning quilt. Love the fabrics you have chosen.

Blog Entries
    i plan to applique these onto a solid black background to make them into a quilt- we shall see- i seem to be getting faster (lots of practice i guess) so they are starting to come together faster- i am kind of getting tired of the pinks though---thinking maybe i should maybe incorporate other colors...what do you all think? i was considering 30= pink/black & whites, 30 purples/black & whites, 30 blues/black & whites, 30 greens/ black & whites ??? any ideas? or should i just keep going with the pinks??? what do you think???

Banned
    What a great idea ckcowl! Applique on black background will make a stunning quilt. With the last installment, there will be custom elongated hexagon piece provided that will set the hexagons together very nicely. You can print and cut out the custom pieces from card stock. It may be a decision to consider to put a black background around all your hexagons.

I like the pink/black/white, but adding new colors could make even more beautiful blocks. We only have a little over 120 blocks. Repeats in different colors will give the illusion of more unique blocks. 8o)

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    ... i should maybe incorporate other colors...what do you all think? i was considering 30= pink/black & whites, 30 purples/black & whites, 30 blues/black & whites, 30 greens/ black & whites ??? any ideas? or should i just keep going with the pinks??? what do you think???

Blog Entries
    OMG-I have never done EPP but I must do this one!! Love it So much! must go to website immediately! Did I say I LOVE IT? I may even do the Pinks with it-I have lots of black & white-I am so excited about this! Thanks so much for posting the pics

Blog Entries
    after completing a couple more blocks & a third one almost done i have decided to stick with the pink/black & white- guess i was just having a moment when i was thinking i should incorporate other colors.
    i may make some blocks in other colors and other sizes- but for this quilt it will be all shades of pinks with what ever black & whites i can get my hands on so far i have just used stash scraps- haven't needed to spend any $$- which is great. at some point i may have to pick up a fq here & there- but so far i have just used what i have.

Banned
    after completing a couple more blocks & a third one almost done i have decided to stick with the pink/black & white ...
    Sounds like a great plan to me! I love them. 8o)

... haven't needed to spend any $$- which is great. at some point i may have to pick up a fq here & there- but so far i have just used what i have.
    That is what I like about these blocks. They are great for scraps.

Blog Entries
    2 more blocks done- i guess i'm over my (tired of pink) and really liking them again Name:  diamonds block.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  773.3 KBName:  new star blk.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  788.7 KB

Banned
    oh! sparkle fabric! I love sparkle fabric. two really cool blocks ckcowl.

Blog Entries
    and one more- this is the last one for this weekend- time will tell what i manage to accomplish this weekName:  7-29-2012_117.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  814.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Love your project! Keep it up.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Looking fantastic! I love sparkle fabric too (not too sure about how long it retains its sparkle though). You are doing a beautiful job with these. Thanks for keeping us posted.

That is just wonderful!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    Looking fantastic! I love sparkle fabric too (not too sure about how long it retains its sparkle though). You are doing a beautiful job with these. Thanks for keeping us posted.
    the star sparkle fabrics i have (pink & lavender) i used to make game quilts for granddaughter's & neices 8 & 4 years ago---they are used/slept with/played with- laundered as needed---and still sparkle.
    i know there are some (glittery) fabrics on the market-that the *stuff* comes off right on your hands when you buy the fabric---but the sparky fabrics i used are not glitter- & do not do that.

Blog Entries
    here are my latest blocks---they are coming right along Name:  august 1_123.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  727.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Those are really nice. Very pretty together. Are they difficult to make? I have never done pp.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Your blocks are so pretty! I recently started on a grandmother's flower garden with 1 1/2 inch hexies. I have about 52 flowers made from my 1930's fabrics. And I just subscribed to the Quilt Pattern magazine and can't wait to do more EPP!
    Sherri

Can one do EPP for any quilt pattern?
    Sharonkay
    ---
    New to quilting
    Love Horses!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvCreams View Post
    Can one do EPP for any quilt pattern?
    sure- make templates- cut them out- fold your fabric around the templates - baste- then stitch the pieces together.

Blog Entries
    actually got 2 more done today- these were easy ones- went fairly quick. it's always kind of amazing to see how different the blocks can be just by a turn- or a reverse of colors...
    things have (calmed down) a bit at work- i may get a few more done this next week- sometimes i think i'm spending too much time on these---but then again------when they are done & a quilt i will be happy i spent the time.
    Name:  august 11_124.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  868.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zzmom View Post
    Those are really nice. Very pretty together. Are they difficult to make? I have never done pp.
    the English Paper Piecing is a very easy (beginner friendly) technique- they are done by hand- very precise results- you simply basted pieces of fabric over paper templates- then place the basted pieces right sides together & whip stitch the pieces together---a great travel / sit & watch tv process. there are plenty of tutorials --many people make the grandmother's flower garden blocks- my project just incorporates a few more shapes- besides hexagons...all though all of the blocks are finished as a hexagon.
    visit PaperPieces.com for design sheets, information- supplies- then check out the Quilt Pattern Magazine- which is an online quilter's subscription magazine- which has free (with subscription) groups you can work with to do all kinds of quilting...this one is the 'Dear Me, I'm going to Pieces' group...there is also a baltimore album group- a basket blocks group...and a number of others.

Speaking of Quilt Pattern Magazine, can one view it using IPad?
    Sharonkay
    ---
    New to quilting
    Love Horses!

Those are awesome gonna be a gorgeous quilt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast