Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English paper piecing question >

English paper piecing question

English paper piecing question

Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I use to use paper to make hexagons and always has trouble with the paper removal. I started using the fabric pre cut in hex shape and stitching the hexes together using a 1/4" seam pressed open. No whipsitching needed, the joined hexes lay completely flat. Inklingo is excellent for quilters that need to make a lot of hexes of any size.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

It only takes a dot of glue to hold the paper in place. Don't over do it. Make it fun and please show us your progress.
peace
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I recently picked up a new pattern using grandmother's flower garden blocks- the designer recommends using starch---she cuts her hex's- puts starch in a cap, she lays the paper piece in the center of the fabric- using a q-tip she *paints* starch around the paper- along the edge of the fabric- then using the iron folds the fabric over the paper- pressing into place. the starch holds a nice 'crisp' folded edge- she then removes the papers & stitches her hex's together- I (tried) it and kind of decided although it worked fine I felt I could stitch them faster- so went back to my 'old' method.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by roselady View Post
I haven't had a problem getting the paper off, when I was done with the sewing. I never wet it, the fabric just came right up off the paper. It doesn't ruin the paper either, I used the pieces over and over.
I havn't either. By the time I get back to them, they have sat for long enough that the papers just pop out. I also try to get the glue on the paper and not so much on the fabric. This tip helps a lot.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM

I'm working on my 4th EPP quilt. I have purchased all of my shapes from paperpieces.com. I don't use any glue when I do mine. I baste the fabric to all of the pieces I need for one block at a time. After you whip stitch them together you can trim the basting stitches and remove the papers from any of the pieces that are attached to other pieces on all sides. If you glue them, you will probably not be able to re-use them. In that case you will need a lot more pieces. EPP is a great project to take along with you. I've worked on them in the car, on an airplane and while on a few cruises. Very tedious work, but I do likethefinal product.