Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
english paper piecing >

english paper piecing

english paper piecing

Old 10-25-2009, 01:38 AM

I grew up in England and as a young girl paper pieced with my grandmother using old cereal boxes as templates. It worked well!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 AM

Funnily enough I was at a meeting this week where one of the ladies brought in a EPP Grandmothers quilt which had been pieced using old letters & the envelopes dating back to 1891. The reverse was as interesting as the front.

Tisha

Personally I have used graph paper which as someone else suggested is slightly heavier. Good Luck which ever paper you decide upon. :D
Old 10-25-2009, 06:17 AM

Update....I decided to use what I had on hand and am using freezer paper and iron it on each hexagon. So far its working out...it doesn't shift or anything. I am not going to do a whole quilt in this way but rather make individual "flowers" from them and applique them to a block. My next question would be..how would I remove the paper from the outer most hexagons without it losing its shape...or do I applique it with the paper in the outer ones?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Don't remove the papers 'til you are ready to applique. I starch my fabric and lightly press, haven't had any problems with the outside losing shape (but do pin and tack...a lot). I know some very old quilts have been put together with the papers in, but I don't think I would risk it. When washed the paper could get pretty revolting and maybe clump or somehow spoil the design or compromise the fabric. This is how I was taught, so this is how I have continued, would be interesting to see if others do it differently.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Really the firmer the paper the easier it is to take out. A friend showed me the way sew the hexes together without paper and no whip stitching. It's a real time saver, no paper and no basting. I guess it's the old method of doing it but it was new to me.
Pretty please, tell us - - -
Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Really the firmer the paper the easier it is to take out. A friend showed me the way sew the hexes together without paper and no whip stitching. It's a real time saver, no paper and no basting. I guess it's the old method of doing it but it was new to me.

Yes, would you please tell us how to do it?..It sounds much faster and easier. I'd like to make a GFG, but haven't because of the time it takes. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 AM

Help!!!!!!! I hit the little icon on the bottom left of the page to see what it would do, and now I've got UNWATCH THIS TOPIC. How do I undo it? I WANT notifications.. :) Thank you.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 AM

Thanks for sharing on this topic. I use a lot of the stuff that comes in the mail and is essentially junk. I recycle everything I can.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 AM

I do hope that Bella boo will share with all of us, the old technique, always
interested to learn new ways of doing things.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I'll try to explain. Put two hexes together right sides together and hand sew them together starting 1/4 from edge and stopping 1/4 from end. One of the hexes will be the center of the flower. Open it up and add another hex to one side, start 1/4 from edge. Sew the second side to the center hex. Continue around. I'm sure there must be a website with this method somewhere. I'll look. I don't have anyone here to take pictures of me demoing this. When my DD comes home I'll post pics.