Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing >

English Paper Piecing

English Paper Piecing

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 PM

Default English Paper Piecing

I would like to learn how to do EPP. Looking for advice on good books or websites. Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 PM

I learned by watching YouTube videos.

Mister Domestic has great information in his, I sometimes find his enthusiasm overwhelming, but the information is sound.

https://www.youtube.com/user/matboudreaux/videos
Old 02-20-2019, 02:13 AM

here is a link with lots of info, including the papers you will need. Good place to start as it shows what can be done with English paper piecing.
https://www.paperpieces.com/
Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 AM

here's another website that I found helpful. She has youtube videos that i thought were helpful and a vast amount of supplies. https://thediyaddict.com/

I have several pattern books but the one that went through the steps that I would recommend first is called: All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland. I thought that was a great way to learn all about EPP.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 AM

Here is a link to a tutorial by Bonnie Hunter. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...-tutorial.html There are lots of youtube and blog tutorials out there. I like the tutorials where you don't sew your fabric to your paper piece, you just baste the fabric so it stays taut around the paper piece, the paper is then reusable and easier to remove. Have fun.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 AM

I absolutely love EPP. I learned by watching YouTube videos. One of the videos I watched when learning advised that you lock yourself in your quilting studio/room/area, and keep practicing.....that is what I did until I understood it. Another piece of advice, start with solids or batiks, don't start with right sided fabric. Starting with the the batiks or solids allows for much less seam ripping and more time practicing.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 PM

I decided to try EPP last year. I thought it would be a good way to use up a lot of scraps. I watched a bunch of youtube videos and one Love of Quilting that featured EPP, then just bought some hexie papers and started working. I'm almost done with a very nice scrappy top and I'm getting ready to start on another project. I'm hooked on EPP for sure!

There are a lot of books out there that are good. If I could go upstairs, I'd tell you which ones I liked but as of now me and my broken ankle are stuck on the first floor.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:35 AM

I've never been brave enough to try paper piecing.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 AM

lindaschipper, you should definitely try it if you enjoy hand work. It is very relaxing, my favorite is Patchwok of the Crosses. Go to paperpieces.com and they have a free patterns tab you can click on for design ideas. Good way to use scraps.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 PM

Mister Domestic was very helpful and fun to watch. Thank you all for your responses, they have given me a direction in which to go.