Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging an already completed bed quilt. >

Enlarging an already completed bed quilt.

Enlarging an already completed bed quilt.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:05 AM

Default Enlarging an already completed bed quilt.

Last summer I made a queen size quilt for my bed. I made it in Michigan where I live but the quilt was made for the bed in our Florida winter home. Unfortunately I didn't take any measurements of the bed and in a any case I made it as big as I could with the fabrics i had. (Made mostly with charm packs). When I got back to Florida and put it on the bed I found that it is barely big enough. The bed has an elastisized bed ruffle. The quilt reaches just to the top of the bed ruffle but doesn't overlap it. Now we're thinking of adding a foam topper to the mattress, which will of course make the quilt too small. I recently bought 3 yards of fabric on clearance which is from the same collection as the charm squares. I was thinking about making a ruffle from the fabric and sewing it by hand in the binding seam on the underside of the quilt. Or perhaps some wide eyelet, although that would probably be expensive. I've even thought about adding a quilted border but don't know how that would look and I really don't want to remove and reattach the binding. Has anyone enlarged an already completed quilt? Any suggestions?

Last edited by janjanq; 07-15-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 AM

I did. I enlarged two twin sized quilts for the very reason you are wanting to. My method might not be what you want, as I am not a quilting perfectionist.

I added six inches all the way around. I didn't try to make the addition quilted. It is just one layer. I hemmed it first and then sewed it to the binding....actually I lined it up to the middle of the binding, so just a tiny bit of the binding shows on the top side of the quilt...sort of like piping. I did not have any of the same fabric, so I went with a solid brown that mainly matched a brown in the quilt.

I think I can find pictures...I know I have an after picture. Not sure I have a before picture....okay, found both.

I am happy with my results and have both quilts on beds right now.

Maybe my method will work for you?

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001962.jpg   s8001964.jpg   s8001970.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 07-15-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I did. I enlarged two twin sized quilts for the very reason you are wanting to. My method might not be what you want, as I am not a quilting perfectionist.

I added six inches all the way around. I didn't try to make the addition quilted. It is just one layer. I hemmed it first and then sewed it to the binding....actually I lined it up to the middle of the binding, so just a tiny bit of the binding shows on the top side of the quilt...sort of like piping. I did not have any of the same fabric, so I went with a solid brown that mainly matched a brown in the quilt.

I think I can find pictures...I know I have an after picture. Not sure I have a before picture....okay, found both.

I am happy with my results and have both quilts on beds right now.

Maybe my method will work for you?

Dina
those look great and intentional
Old 07-15-2018, 05:06 AM

I have enlarged a quilt when we purchased a new mattress. They are deeper than the old ones. I took off the binding and added the extra blocks like a border all the way around. I zig zagged the batting and butted it up to the old batting edge that was covered by the old binding. Then I added the "new borders" and finished like usual. It worked.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

What a great solution!
Thanks for starting this thread. I made a King quilt for our bed but somehow made it too small and we are constantly pulling on it.
I think I can fix it, thank you!
Isn't it frustrating?

I once made a rag quilt of flannel and had the same problem. In that case I just sewed a large border around it and it worked. Not too pretty though.

I'm currently making a Log Cabin for the same bed and you can be sure it's going to be big!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 07-15-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 AM

I think we were the last people in the universe to buy a queen mattress. Consequently a lot of my quilts are double size. I ripped an old sheet in fours and added a length to the end of my double quilts.
I've also turned them sideways for the length to be the drop and add the sheet to one side.

I'm doing my first quilt as you go, which is going pretty well, and am now thinking of making long slim quilts to attach to those doubles.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I just wanted to say i saw one in a magazine that was underneath a quilt. the gray one beneath looks like the edges were never finished. you can see stitching and raw fabric all the way around. interesting. I did cut off some border on a king size one i made because i no longer have a king.
test out fabrics by laying the quilt flat and putting some you are considering for borders next to it. that will help. fold the width you may use. Good luck!!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 AM

I did it, but it wasn't easy. The person I was doing it for chose a floral stripe so I had to miter the corners. I cut off the binding, sewed the extension, more batting, the edge of the quilt and the backing extension together in that order. I smoothed them all out, did the miter and put on a new binding. Looked great, but I don't think I'd do it again.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Yea! glad it worked!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:32 PM

I have also done it this way. By the time you're done, only you will be able to tell it was added onto.