Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging a block with multiple components. >

Enlarging a block with multiple components.

Enlarging a block with multiple components.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:31 PM

Default Enlarging a block with multiple components.

Thanks in advance to all who help. This has defeated me. The pattern I wish to use was published in Quilty, September/October 2018, named Sisters of the Dark. It highlights a 5" center block. The finished block size is 18"x18". I would like to use a Laurel Burch panel, Celestial Magic, and fussy cut the center block at 6". I'm unsure of the appropriate yardage needed, the cuts to make, the finished block size and just about everything associated with enlarging all these cuts. Material is expensive, and I really don't want this to be n expensive Oops! I really feel the need for your expertise and knowledge. These are the published quilt directions and fabric needs that DO NOT reflect the enlargement of all these cuts to balance the block. :
.5yd large print for block centers
18 FQs in assorted prints
4yd solid black for units and patches
.75yd binding
4.5 yd backing

From large print: cut : *2- 5" wide strips, subcut to 9- 5""A" squares.
* 1- 2.5" wide strip, subcut into 16-2.5" "F" squares.
From solid black, cut: *14- 5" wide strips, subcut to:
from 9 of those strips, cut 36- 5"x9.5""C" rectangles.
From the remaining 5 strips, cut to 36- 5" "A" squares.
*3- 3 1/8"" strips, subcut to 36- 3 1/8" "A" squares.
*7- 3"strips, cut into 4- 3"x67.5" borders
*12- 2.5" strips, subcut to 24- 2.5"x18.5" "E" rectangles.
From each FQ, cut: *1-5" wide strip, subcut each into
4- 5" "A"squares,
*1- 3 1/8" wide strip, cut into:
4- 3 1/8" "B" squares

MANY THANK YOUS!!!
Old 06-02-2022, 02:37 PM

That is a lot of figuring. I think I would look for another pattern that calls for a 6 inch block. Without knowing how all the sizes called for are going to be used, I don't have a clue and I don't think this something I would attempt.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:39 PM

Assuming that the pattern calls for a finished 4.5” (5” cut) center block and you would like to use a finished 6” (cut 6.5”) center block, then the finished size of the complete block will need to increase from 18” (4.5” x 4) to 24” (6” x 4).

If this still interests you, start by getting out the graph paper and draw the finished pattern (not the cut sizes) for one block based on the pattern. Then you will essentially multiply each piece by 1.333 to get the new finished size. You will then need to add 1/2” to each piece to get the cut size.

For example, the 5” square A (4.5 finished) in the pattern will be cut as a a 6.5” square (6” finished) in your enlarged block. That 3 1/8” square (2 5/8” finished) will become a 4” square (3.5” finished). At first glance, your only really trick calculation looks to be those 2.5” squares. A 2” finished square will need to be cut at just a bit more than 3 1/8” so that it will finish at a bit more than 2 5/8”.

Then count the number of blocks (you may want fewer than the pattern calls for since each block will be larger) and the number of each unit in each block. That will allow you to calculate yardage for the pieced blocks. Adjust the borders to match the new block size and calculate that yardage. Use your graph paper to draw a cutting diagram to make sure you aren’t wasting fabric.

Best of luck.

Last edited by SuzSLO; 06-02-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:41 PM

Thank you for a quick response. I will draw out the block pattern on graph paper as well as stitch a test block. I have played with calculations some, and if I understood the formula correctly, I should simply take the cutting size iof each component n the pattern, multiply it by 1.333, and add .5". For example, the 2.5" strips become 2.5x1.333=3.8 +.5=4.3, and 18.5 x 1.333=24.66+.5=25.16. The unfinished rectangle is then 25.16 x 4.3. The block itself is a square center surrounded by an 8 point star and echoed by a larger 8 point star, similar to a sawtooth star.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Luray831 View Post
Thank you for a quick response. I will draw out the block pattern on graph paper as well as stitch a test block. I have played with calculations some, and if I understood the formula correctly, I should simply take the cutting size iof each component n the pattern, multiply it by 1.333, and add .5". For example, the 2.5" strips become 2.5x1.333=3.8 +.5=4.3, and 18.5 x 1.333=24.66+.5=25.16. The unfinished rectangle is then 25.16 x 4.3. The block itself is a square center surrounded by an 8 point star and echoed by a larger 8 point star, similar to a sawtooth star.
You multiply the finished size, not the cutting size.

So for a 2.5” cutting size, you subtract 1/2” to get the finished size (2”), then multiply by 1.333 to get 2.66” (slightly larger than 2 5/8”) then add 1/2” to get slightly larger than 3 1/8”. For the 5” square, you subtract 1/2” to get the finished size (4 1/2”), then multiply by 1.333 to get 6” new finished size then add 1/2” to get the new cutting size of 6 1/2”. Etc.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:30 PM
Gay

To keep these patches in proportion you would end up with a 24" block. If you don't mind this you would have a 16 patch block with each block finishing at 6". The HSTs would finish at 3".
Hope I have helped.
Attached Thumbnails sisters-dark.jpg  
Old 06-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Question:

Are you planning to cut the Laurel Burch fabric into 6 inch squares - which would finish at 5.5 inches?

or

Are you planning to cut the Laurel Burch fabric into 6.5 inch square - which would finish at 6.0 inches?

The "math" for increasing or decreasing a component is usually figured on the "finished" size of the pieces, and then seam allowances are added.

Example: I have a 2-inch finished size that I want to increase to a 4-inch finished size - which would be a 2.5 inch cut size as compared to a 4.5 inch cut size.

I multiply 2* 2 which equals 4 - and then I add 1/4 inch to each side for seam allowances for a cut size of 4.5 inches.

If I double the cut size, the piece would be too large - that would be 2.5 * 2.5 = 5.0 - which would be too large.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:31 AM

If the diagram Gay posted is correct, ignore my advice regarding resizing the units that will become half square triangles. This is why it’s so important to draw out the pattern.

For half square triangles, take the new finished size (3” & 1.5”) and add 7/8” for the cutting size. This makes 2 half square triangles at a time (though you could use your favorite method to make more (or less) at a time). A square 3 7/8” will make 2 3” finished at 3” and a square 2 3/8” will make 2 1.5” finished.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
To keep these patches in proportion you would end up with a 24" block. If you don't mind this you would have a 16 patch block with each block finishing at 6". The HSTs would finish at 3".
Hope I have helped.
Thank you for drawing that out. Your drawing helped me see the cutting/piecing lines that I was unable to determine from the picture on the link.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:02 PM

Gay's thumbnail is the block depicted in the pattern. Regarding the fabric panel, the motif itself measures5.5". The motif is surrounded by 4 rows of decorative dots, which, when added to the 5.5" motif, measure 6 3/8" or 6.375". My thought was to cut the center block at 6", and have it finish at 5.5" which would not crop any of the motif.
My first impression when i saw this pattern iwas it would be perfect to show the beautiful blocks in the panel. Now, I am so unsure of resizing this pattern, making accurate calculations, cuts, and accurate seams. A 24" block is quite large, and I would end up with a quilt of almost 90", too large for me to quilt on a domestic machine, and probably too expensive to have quilted.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pattern or block that would not require so many complicated changes?? I would still love to use the panel. It really is lovely.