Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging a pattern?? >

Enlarging a pattern??

Enlarging a pattern??

Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM

MTS, thank you for the explanation. I really appreciate it. Without the help of board members like you and the other experts, I would sure waste a lot of fabric. Thanks again. Betty
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM

I am talking about increasing the size of a Drunkard's Path block. I will check to see if the seam allowance is included. I need to decrease a pattern for FMQ, too, but that's pretty straight forward and doesn't need to be exact.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by irishrose
I am talking about increasing the size of a Drunkard's Path block. I will check to see if the seam allowance is included. I need to decrease a pattern for FMQ, too, but that's pretty straight forward and doesn't need to be exact.
These are just two random samples I found to show the difference in the templates.

Also, different methods for piecing the DP. Both equally valid - play around to see which you like best.

Example 1:
http://www.quilterscache.com/D/drunk...atemaking.html
There are no seam allowance on these templates.
To get from a 6"FINISHED to 12"FINISHED block, enlarge on the copier, and THEN add the 1/4" all around on both pieces.

Each DP block is only one quarter of larger block. Obviously, if you did the 4patch again after you enlarged it, then you'd have a 24" block.

Instructions for piecing:-
http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DrunkardsPathBlock.html

Example 2:
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/505_templates.pdf
It takes a while for the .pdf to open.
These templates have the seam allowances. So to increase the size from 3.5" UNFINISHED blocks to 6.5" UNFINISHED blocks, you can
enlarge them on the copier, but then have to trim down the seam allowances to 1/4" before you use them to cut fabric (because the s.a. will also double in size when you enlarge the whole template).

Instructions for piecing -
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/pa...505/index.html
Uses a bit more pins than I do, but not a bad idea to start that way until you get the hang of it.

As for the FMQ designs, you just need to see what size motifs look good in the space you have. Much easier. ;-)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

I found an 8" pattern for the DP. As for the FMQ, I saw the quilt spread out tonight when I was pin basting it and I think I've changed my mind about the flower. It'll work out.

As far as sewing the DP, I will use the McCall's method because I don't want to clip the edge like quilterscache does, but I will use only one or two pins. I've set in enough sleeves that I don't anticipate a problem.

Thank you, everyone.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Here is a chart for you
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255795.jpe  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:43 AM

PosteRazor is a free program. You enter the scan of whatever you want and tell the program if you want it resized by a percentage or an actual size.
It then will spit out a pdf. The pages are tiled so that you can tape them together.
It works fabulously.

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Banned

A caution about enlarging patterns on a copier.
I have been told that all copiers are not equal in the accuracy of enlarging designs. This is deliberate on the part of the copier due to perhaps copyright issues. This, of course doesn't apply to a design such as the Drunkards Path.
It is a good idea to check the accuracy of the enlargement before using as a template for cutting.
The DP is a rather simple design to draw with graft paper and a compass. So when you get the enlargement made, without the seam allowance, check it with the compass to make sure the curves remain true. I would draw two patterns and then add the seam allowance for each section and then make a template of each side (which you will probably do anyway. I cut each section and then glue to stiff plastic and then cut out. The curve muse remain true for each piece to fit accurately.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM

I purchased template plastic which isn't very stiff. The pattern uses paper, but I can see me cutting the paper, too. I remember when my grandmother made her DP, she had trouble with her templates staying perfect so my uncle made her steel ones in his machine shop. Grandma was a perfectionist and worked completely by hand.