Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlightening Fabric Shopping Trip... and Disappointing >

Enlightening Fabric Shopping Trip... and Disappointing

Enlightening Fabric Shopping Trip... and Disappointing

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM

I bought some fabric just before the price started going up. I had planned projects in mind. I use fabric.com and connecting threads. I also use AAA quilt supply for my 108" backings.
We have some fabric in our local Walmart. It was mostly prints for children, but, the last time I was in there, they were getting new, and it looked pretty nice. I have not bought any of it yet.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM

You are lucky that the stores in the lower 48 don't get charged the shipping that we do in Alaska. Along with the increased prices our stores are having to pay astronomical shipping costs. The more the fuel costs go up the more the shipping goes up, sometimes to a dollar a yard extra. We are lucky that our quilt stores try to keep the costs to the consumer down. On trips to the lower 48 states I have been shocked that the prices are the same there as here when the shipping is no where near the same as it is for Alaska.

I have been a clearance and sale shopper of fabric for a long time. I tell my husband I'm collecting for retirement. Now I'm glad I did, as my stash has enough to keep me going for many years to come and retirement is looming.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM

I never shop in WalMart for anything, but friends tell me their fabrics are very poor quality. Since I started shopping in LQSs, I don't even buy fabrics at Joann's anymore, except for Kona solids. There is just such a huge difference in the feel of the fabrics from the LQS to Joann's that I feel the extra money is worth it, especially since I am making something I hope will last a very long time.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Hi,
I am a new sewer and quilter, and until I went to a LQS, I used batiks because they felt good. I never realized that other stores had fabrics that looked and felt so good. I do have to disagree, though, and say Amy Butler and Kate Spain have wonderful colors and feel to their fabrics. I don't yet know how they wear, but they sure feel like they are of good quality.

Nancy

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
yes you would think...HOWEVER, look who is sewing these days....most of the NEW comers to sewing are the tweens to early 30's and those groups never had a sewing class in their lives! They do not know crepe from cotton....they buy with their eyes, and by NAMES...like Amy Butler, etc. The makers of fabric know this! They specifically target those age groups. You know the NEW mom's making GOOD toys, clothes, etc for the precious babies. Quality of fabric is NOT part of the plan, just being hip and stylish is all they really care about. Same with the newer quilters. Just slap some fabric together, call it a "quilt" and move on to the nursing pillow! Without anyone teaching them to understand fabric quality, how to look for flaws, how to know if it was printed on grain, etc, the fabric makers are sitting back and laughing! They are now selling lower quality goods, often not even worthy of being called a 2nd, and WE keep buying it! The LQS owners are NOT to blame. Boycott or protest with the makers! THough their hands are tied with China now hoarding 90% of the world's cotton inventory!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the support and letting me vent! I know we all are outraged at the quality and prices of our precious fabrics!! I actually did end up paying $7.97 yd @ WalMart, but I wouldn't have purchased it, if I wasn't happy with the quality. Honestly, it was much better quality than I had found in my local fabric stores.
I am currently building up my stash, I find it a bit difficult not knowing what I will make in the future. So... I am purchasing fabrics that are in my favorite colors. I purchased quite a few batiks from www.fabricdepot.com the other day that were on sale. Then I moved on to www.shabbyfabrics.com and www.quilterscornergj.com to purchase about 10 fabrics from the same line, this purchase is for a Dresden Plate table runner also on sale. So I think for me I will do as many of you have suggested and that is shop the sales @ our LQS, and...be very picky about fabrics from other stores.
I am not affiliated with the above mentioned shops, just found some great buys and quality fabric I was searching for. Aren't we fortunate to have the internet to shop worldwide for great fabrics!!
Sign me,
No longer naive about fabric quality!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Have any of you tried to use bed sheets. The cost per yard comes out pretty low in comparison, and the thread count can get quite high. There are some pretty nice patterns out there. MY LAQ said she likes it when her customers use sheets.
Phyllis
Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by pastorpatti04 View Post
I was at a WM yesterday where they never lost their fabric section, they had fabrics marked down to $1.00-$2.50/yd. They were very nice quality, I bought 40 yards for $69.00.
Isn't it great when that happens. Our Wal-Mart has a couple of new lines in from Fabric Traditions. Feels pretty good! But...it's $7.49. There is only one LQS here and I was pleased to find very pretty feel good material there for $5/yd.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM

I usually shop my local quilt stores (not chain stores) and I just haven't seen the thin fabrics. The prices have gone up, but quilting is my life after family and I am just willing to pay for quality. Their prices are mostly $9.00-10.00 a yard now. So far, I can handle that. There are about 5 LQS within 40 min. and they are all about the same in quality and price. I do feel very fortunate.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM

I just had to return some fabric to an online fabric store -- I won't give the name because you'd all recognize it instantly. I've always used this place when I wanted to be absolutely sure the fabric was of good quality. I was deeply disappointed when I ordered 4 yards of a fabric, at over $11 a yard on sale, and you could see straight through it. So I returned it without comment. This was obviously a buying or supply error.

I do shop the thrift stores, yard sales and estate sales. You'd be amazed at what I've found there: High quality fabrics people just wanted to get rid of cheaply for one reason or another. Of course you have to be both picky and lucky, but at least you're there to pick up the fabric, look at it, feel it, check the print (is it on the grain?), check for flaws or damage, etc., etc. When you go on line, you have to depend on the reputation of the site, and past experiences. I will, of course, use this place I sent the fabric back to again. I've had too many good experiences there.

So I shop the full spectrum: from thrift stores to on line to regular Quilt shops. It just depends. I shop sales, ends of bolts, coupons, every savings I can get. And every once in a while, I buy something full price because I just have to have it. You know what I mean.

One of the things I've also done is to establish a relationship with 3 different fabric sellers on eBay. I used them often enough, and gave them great feedback, and they noticed me. (I was testing them: Did I like both the product and the service?) Then we had email "conversations". I'm very up front about what I like, especially in terms of quality. I let them know that I would be very unhappy with poor quality material, and delighted if they'd let me know if something special came in. So that is now happening. I'll see a fabric I like, e-mail them about it, and they'll truthfully let me know if it's something I'd "like" --- i.e. if it fits my requirements. That prevents me from buying poor quality material on eBay. They will also e-mail me if "something special" comes in, and they've come to know the kinds of prints, colors and quality I like. In return, I shop their stores, and continue to provide great feedback. They're helping me out by pointing me in the right direction in terms of their wares, the same as any good clerk would do if I were in a store, and in return, I am rewarding them by buying from their stores. It works. I think they also know that if they started leading me towards poor quality fabric, I'd stop buying from them, and I would. This is a great approach because it works, and saves me from wasting money on fabric I don't want. You can steal this approach from me if you want!

Happy Quilting!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM

I was @ Joann's yesterday and I bought a packaged Warm and Natural queen size batt, regular price was $44.95!!! I'm glad it was on sale @ 40% off and I was able to use my 15% employee(Viking gallery) discount. I am just totally shocked at how much the price of anything cotton has gone up.
Sharon W.