Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entered my First Show! Some Questions… >

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Old 09-17-2022, 04:46 AM

First - get the notes from the judge! Don't listen to what others are saying. I'm wondering how they seem to know what the judge was thinking. If they were involved in the sessions with the judge, I find it very disturbing that they would pass on comments that were made. My understanding is those sessions and what is said in them are confidential. At our shows, the notes are typed up, put into an envelope and sealed to be returned to the quiltmaker. There is to be no discussion of them from the people who took the notes for the judge or those who input them for printing,

In my experience, a judge looks at the quality of the workmanship. Yes, the overall look of the quilt factors into that, and often you'll get a comment from the judge about a nice use of color or something like that. However, the constructive criticism (always put in a positive manner) focuses on the workmanship: "Most of your points are sharp and noticeable, but a few were cut off," "Work toward getting a 90 degree angle on your binding at the corners," "You had a good choice of border fabric, but it was somewhat wavy," and that kind of thing. Since this quilt was entered in the art category, I would think it is doubtful the shape was a factor in the judging.

All that being said, perhaps this judge just didn't "get" art quilts. Hopefully when a judge is selected, they are certified as a judge and not just someone who likes quilts. And you hope they are able to judge quilts based on the category in which they're entered. Don't give up - read the judge's notes and see where he/she thinks you could improve. Above all else, unless the ribbons are important to you, make quilts YOU like and want to live with after the show.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:57 AM

Quilt shows have a budget. Local shows sometimes hire judges that don’t have professional certificates. Most guilds are heavily traditional. Pretty and very detailed usually wins. Art is a genre all it’s own. One of my art quilts won a ribbon at Road to California. A comment was the interesting shape of the bottom border. At another local show it was critically judged for the simple background. Modern quilts often have open backgrounds to highlight quilting.

Professional judging is 90-95% technique. Only 5-10% goes to design. If it doesn’t lay flat, it’s out. If the corners of the binding aren’t stitched down, it’s out. To be acceptable it must be excellent quilt technique.

international shows have web sites with albums of winners. There are categories for art. Here’s some shows;
Road to California
Mancuso Festivals (there are several each year across the nation) In California it’s Pacific International Quilt Festival.
AQS (American Quilters Association)
SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Association) For art, this is good to be a member.

Last edited by petthefabric; 09-17-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I went to a show once where there were several 'art' quilts (there was a square one, a round one, an oval one and several others that I wasn't quite sure of what shape they would be called) and none of them won ribbons even though they were outstanding. In discussion about it later (none were mine - I don't enter shows) It was said that the judges only wanted quilts that were designed for use, like baby quilts, bed size quilts, and throw size for judging in those categories. They hung the 'art' quilts, but didn't even really judge them as they were a category that they didn't want. The judges considered them wall quilts. Apparently they weren't even supposed to be accepted for the show to begin with and were basically disqualified.

Your quilt is fantastic. Great work and skill! But, perhaps the above is maybe another reason they didn't consider it a 'quilt'.

okay I am so glad you posted - this is exactly what I thought people were trying to tell me. Which is why I made my post! I really didn’t care about winnings ribbon , it was finding out I was left in the show as an “exception” when I followed their written rules was so confused because, why have that attitude if you’re going to have an art category? If that category hadn’t been listed, I wouldn’t have entered at all obviously. So I posted to find out if this is the norm or if I should bother to enter other shows with my style .
I was so excited to be in the show it just really hurt to hear I “didn’t count” or something. Thank you so much. I will have to talk to people who have personal experience with any show I think about entering in the future. I was so shocked that this attitude would be present , like I said I have zero experience with the culture
Old 09-17-2022, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Quilt shows have a budget. Local shows sometimes hire judges that don’t have professional certificates. Most guilds are heavily traditional. Pretty and very detailed usually wins. Art is a genre all it’s own. One of my art quilts won a ribbon at Road to California. A comment was the interesting shape of the bottom border. At another local show it was critically judged for the simple background. Modern quilts often have open backgrounds to highlight quilting.

Professional judging is 90-95% technique. Only 5-10% goes to design. If it doesn’t lay flat, it’s out. If the corners of the binding aren’t stitched down, it’s out. To be acceptable it must be excellent quilt technique.

international shows have web sites with albums of winners. There are categories for art. Here’s some shows;
Road to California
Mancuso Festivals (there are several each year across the nation) In California it’s Pacific International Quilt Festival.
AQS (American Quilters Association)
SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Association) For art, this is good to be a member.
thank you so much!!!

so glad you posted - I was just looking at AQS because there is a show near me soon!! I think I will throw him up for that!! If you see the previous comment I replied to - that’s exactly my experience. It was so hurtful. It wasn’t about no ribbons- it was about finding out I was left in as an exception basically,and that may have been debated I guess, even when I followed all their rules and they had an “art” category!! It’s the only reason I entered. But then I guess there were unspoken rules about what they think is “art” 🙄
Old 09-17-2022, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter View Post
First - get the notes from the judge! Don't listen to what others are saying. I'm wondering how they seem to know what the judge was thinking. If they were involved in the sessions with the judge, I find it very disturbing that they would pass on comments that were made. My understanding is those sessions and what is said in them are confidential. At our shows, the notes are typed up, put into an envelope and sealed to be returned to the quiltmaker. There is to be no discussion of them from the people who took the notes for the judge or those who input them for printing,

In my experience, a judge looks at the quality of the workmanship. Yes, the overall look of the quilt factors into that, and often you'll get a comment from the judge about a nice use of color or something like that. However, the constructive criticism (always put in a positive manner) focuses on the workmanship: "Most of your points are sharp and noticeable, but a few were cut off," "Work toward getting a 90 degree angle on your binding at the corners," "You had a good choice of border fabric, but it was somewhat wavy," and that kind of thing. Since this quilt was entered in the art category, I would think it is doubtful the shape was a factor in the judging.

All that being said, perhaps this judge just didn't "get" art quilts. Hopefully when a judge is selected, they are certified as a judge and not just someone who likes quilts. And you hope they are able to judge quilts based on the category in which they're entered. Don't give up - read the judge's notes and see where he/she thinks you could improve. Above all else, unless the ribbons are important to you, make quilts YOU like and want to live with after the show.
thank you!! I’m guessing because a couple people told me the same things - they werent necessarily repeating what happened during the judging but maybe after? Like my quilt was a point of contention or something, as if people thought it shouldn’t be displayed at all. It was really shocking to hear strangers say to me - “don’t listen to anyone who says it doesn’t belong!!” Like, what?! People thought that?! This is an art category!!! That’s what really hurt me. Im not mad about the ribbons but I would like to be confident that I have an equal chance as everyone else and there aren’t some unspoken rules I need to follow for shows in the future. It felt unwelcoming which I didn’t expect and I hope that was just specific to this one and I can avoid that kind of atmosphere in the future
Old 09-17-2022, 10:28 AM

In the international shows they dedicate x amount of space to display each category. If there are 1000 entered in med size traditional quilts and 100 entered for med size art quilts 1% of traditional and 10% of art will get in. I had friends who tried for years before being accepted. From appearances there’s no rhyme or reason to it. Just keep trying.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I only load from my phone. Start a comment and scroll down, click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down to Manage Attachment and click that. A page will come up for you to Choose File. Click there to add photos one at a time. (It may say from your computer but you can add from your phone. I have IPHONE ) anyway after you have added pictures , slide the screen so you can see the UPLOAD button. Click that. IF you didn’t choose a smaller version of your picture it may not upload. If that’s the case you will have to choose small size on bottom of picture when you close your picture from your phone. Let me know if you get stuck and I’ll try to help because I’m wanting to see your work.-Toogie
Thank you for this! I have always used my computer to post, but with your steps, I was able to post from my phone. A first for me!
Old 09-17-2022, 04:44 PM

Talking

Okay so for everyone who commented I SO APPRECIATE IT!! so you were all right to read the notes . They made me feel a lot better and a little sad same time . I got stars for excellence or marked as ++ (next highest) in EVERY category on the judge sheet.No negative marks. None even marked as needs improvement. Only critiques was the judge thought I should have quilted a bit more in the background areas (I agree- I skipped some areas to not take away from the face but from far away it wouldn’t t have. Gonna add that ) And also she said shed prefer if I had quilted in contrast thread (not the look I wanted, can see why she would just not my style) So WOW! That’s nice!!!

So now I guess I was passed over and not recognized publicly, just for being different. Which is sad in a way- like she could write it on the private notes but it would offend people out loud or something? The judge even complimented the 3D elements, design, choice of fabrics, and especially the face on my sheet. I find it hard to believe I didn’t get any negative marks out of the 13 point rubric, and not even a “merit” recognition which were given to so many people in each category. Also I found out this was a “pro” judge in case anyone wa wondering
@EIQuilter @quiltsfor @greensleeves @cashs_mom @Onebyone @Three Dog Night @toogie
gonna add some small fixes - THEN SEE YOU AT AQS, fingers crossed !!!! Thanks everybody. You helped me so much. I wouldn’t have picked up the notes without you.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:04 PM

Quiltfest uses pro judges(certified), and they are not suppose to be bias to certain quilts. Many moons ago they had a judge that didn't care about earth tone colors. Needless to say those qluilts were not chosen. The written notes are really helpful in learning what can be improved or added the next time. I'm just curious if there was judging for placement in the art quilt category? I didn't go to Quiltfest due to other commitments. I really liked your art quilt, and don't pay any attention to negative comments.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:12 PM

Thank you so much @grannie cheechee !! Yes there was place 1 thru honorable mention specific for art category. I didn’t have a problem with any of the placements except the honorable. Idk what happened but many others mentioned this specific one to me as well. It was a printed photo , single panel , no binding (turned instead). Just quilted with squiggles . Like somebody did it the day before it was due? Not to be rude but I think everyone who entered could have done it in an afternoon. It was a little insulting to all the work that everyone else put in (I wasn’t alone in feeling this way) So who knows. I’m just glad they were open enough to not give me a poor score or be demeaning in the notes just because it was different (which was what I was scared of from the weird comments I got on the first day) .

I submitted my pics to AQS tonight! Will you be going to Daytona in February? 😊