Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entered my quilt in a show and lived to tell the tale >

Entered my quilt in a show and lived to tell the tale

Entered my quilt in a show and lived to tell the tale

Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
In a moment of temporary insanity I decided to enter my quilt in a show put on by our guild every two years. First year in a guild, first show, what can possibly go wrong? The catch was that three days before the quilts were due, mine was still hanging in pieces on the design board. After a few sleepless nights, LA fighting me every step of the way, and all the usual lows, my quilt was done. Show went well, there were lots of people and guilts were gorgeous. Throughout the show I felt this bad lump in my stomach seeing my sleepless disaster hanging amongst all the beauties. At the end of the show, I picked up my quilt and judges' comments and went to a Starbucks with a friend for the grand opening of the judging envelope. I was ready to be slaughtered. Surprise! They loved my quilt! Really, they did. In a very nice manner they told me to make sure to snip my threads (some escaped me in my daze) and to pay attention to stitch length when quilting. That was it. So, if you are thinking of entering your quilt in a show, go for it. The comments are helpful, and you will survive them for sure. If I can offer one piece of advice - do not procrastinate with finishing your quilt. Finishing your masterpiece well before the deadline does wonders for stress reduction. Happy quilting!
Every first is hard, but after a while you will get to be a professional "firster" and maybe even with grand prize. I am happy it was a pleasant experience for you. Hey! One more positive result is that now you know just how fast you can work.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Love your story and hope you have many more successes to come!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
In a moment of temporary insanity I decided to enter my quilt in a show put on by our guild every two years. First year in a guild, first show, what can possibly go wrong? The catch was that three days before the quilts were due, mine was still hanging in pieces on the design board. After a few sleepless nights, LA fighting me every step of the way, and all the usual lows, my quilt was done. Show went well, there were lots of people and guilts were gorgeous. Throughout the show I felt this bad lump in my stomach seeing my sleepless disaster hanging amongst all the beauties. At the end of the show, I picked up my quilt and judges' comments and went to a Starbucks with a friend for the grand opening of the judging envelope. I was ready to be slaughtered. Surprise! They loved my quilt! Really, they did. In a very nice manner they told me to make sure to snip my threads (some escaped me in my daze) and to pay attention to stitch length when quilting. That was it. So, if you are thinking of entering your quilt in a show, go for it. The comments are helpful, and you will survive them for sure. If I can offer one piece of advice - do not procrastinate with finishing your quilt. Finishing your masterpiece well before the deadline does wonders for stress reduction. Happy quilting!
Congratulations! I haven't entered so I guess there is no reason not too! I love your cover pic!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:08 PM

Are you going to show us a picture of your quilt? Sure hope so.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Hi, you must give yourself more credit. the quilt was great, loved the pattern, colors and modernality of it. You did a fantastic job. the "pres"
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM

So happy that you had a great experience in the show. Would love to see photo.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Next time won't be as scary
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
I want to see a picture!!!
I agree. Where's the picture?

Good for you. I would have felt similarly. Always difficult to put your efforts out for all to see and judge.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the post. Next week I'm entering a couple of my quilts for the first time in our guilds show. Don't know what possessed me to do this but it will be an adventure. I'm think Starbucks won't do the job but a glass of wine might.
Will let you know the gory details in a couple of weeks.