Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ5 - Pray for me... >

EQ5 - Pray for me...

EQ5 - Pray for me...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
I purchased EQ5 several years ago. I stuffed it away with several other expensive quilting gadgets that I never use. Any dos, don'ts, hints, problems, suggestions that I should be aware of - or on the lookout for????
In the meantime, I'm heading to lesson 1.
Thanks
I would go to Youtube and search on EQ7. You will find several videos there that are relevant to 7, but that will give you a general idea on how the program is layed out. Also the Electric Quilt websites has some too. I woud also suggest Quilting Arts TV website. Search on "EQ" and you will find project sheets on general projects with instructions that you can print out. If you have access to the shows via DVD, library, PBS etc viewing the shows would be even better. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM

yep, bought it but didn't get too far with the tutorials. haven't gotten rid of it cause I do plan do learn it - SOMEDAY.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Hi! I tried going through the manuals for EQ5 but could never understand how I was going to put it all together to plan a quilt but someone shared with me that the mystery lessons that are the EQ website might help. It took some preservance but I did it! I finished the Skylights mystery lessons and they helped tremendously. The lesson taught me to look at quilts in a completely different way, instead of looking at the whole quilt, I now at look for what block(s) make up the quilt and how its constructed
The lessons were not hard to get through. The instructions were very clear and when I was finished with the lessons I liked the what the quilt might look like that I started working on a Skylights quilt.
You can find the Lessons by going to http://electriquilt.com click on Fun Stuff at the top bar then select Lessons Chris
Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks everybody, glad to see I'm not the only one to attempt EQ, then give up.
OK group, those of you who are willing, lets give it another try together, maybe we can help each other.
Let's face it, we all forked over $100.00+ for this program and in this economy, that's not chicken feed.
I'll be back for help.
seeya'
Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 AM

I also have EQ5, and don't have enough time to play with it much. When I do have the time, I have to re-learn a few things. Thankfully, the books are written for people who aren't techno-geeks. I usually don't have much trouble getting what I need out of EQ5. I agree, we paid good money for the software, so hang in there!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! I tried going through the manuals for EQ5 but could never understand how I was going to put it all together to plan a quilt but someone shared with me that the mystery lessons that are the EQ website might help. It took some preservance but I did it! I finished the Skylights mystery lessons and they helped tremendously. The lesson taught me to look at quilts in a completely different way, instead of looking at the whole quilt, I now at look for what block(s) make up the quilt and how its constructed
The lessons were not hard to get through. The instructions were very clear and when I was finished with the lessons I liked the what the quilt might look like that I started working on a Skylights quilt.
You can find the Lessons by going to http://electriquilt.com click on Fun Stuff at the top bar then select Lessons Chris
this is excellent advice. EQ definitely has that learning curve, but ya can't do without it once you get the hang of it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 AM

What has amazed me about completing the lessons is how its changed how I view a quilt. I used to look at a quilt and think I can't make quilt because I couldn't seperate out what the block parts were. Learning how to use the drawing board helped me learn what to look for in a block.
I think what is missing in the manuals is one continous step by step process of designing a block. In the lessons, it seems to tie it all in a neat package instead of jumping from this chapter to the next to get all the info to make a block. I feel like I would never have gotten as far as I have EQ without the Skylight Lessons. I'm keeping the lessons I printed out because I feel like they're a better reference book than the manuals. Chris