Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EQ6 and log cabin designs--anyone have some time?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Terri--that's the one Debra worked on for me--did you see it on page 1? It was the one I was going to pick--but I wanted a garden effect... and the corners are too separate to look like that.

Ok, got it.
    I still like the other one. Maybe I'm just liking it being square and not rectangle.

I have been off the computer for a few days. Trying to finish quilting my bargello quilt. Just the binding and label left now.
    EQ6 is very easy to learn. It comes with very clear instructions, and built in tutorials. It only took a few minutes to alter one of the library blocks to resemble the watercolour block. Then it is just playing with the layout.
    It is simple to change the layout to the number of rows and columns wanted. Best part is that you can print out or export a copy of each one you want to consider.
    I have used it alot for round robins, as I can take a picture of the quilt so far, and put it in the middle, and add my borders to it.
    Debra

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thought I'd stick my oar in - I like Debra's 2! Just going to check your original layouts, Karla!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    And I like your 2 with the corners as they are but I also like 6! Are we being ANY help at all? LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    :lol: kn3--well--tell me if square quilts are odd (56" by 56")... if not #6 it's going to be. I think it should have one more row all around, so 9x9 at least--but I'm not sure how to do that. And I'll do a search for a perfect border--if I don't find one--it'll be borderless. :D

I'm working on the last of the squares now--actually I'm making more than I need so I can play with colors and have the option of leaving the bold sunflowers out.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    :lol: kn3--well--tell me if square quilts are odd (56" by 56")... if not #6 it's going to be. I think it should have one more row all around, so 9x9 at least--but I'm not sure how to do that. And I'll do a search for a perfect border--if I don't find one--it'll be borderless. :D

I'm working on the last of the squares now--actually I'm making more than I need so I can play with colors and have the option of leaving the bold sunflowers out.
    I actually prefer square quilts - because I like symmetry! And I think for log cabin it's ALMOST essential! If I look around and think about what I've made, most are square except bed quilts - and even the one on our bed, which is a topper is square! So square is cool! And I don't think it really NEEDS a border, maybe a binding done in a dark colour to really frame it OR a strippy binding with the floral fabrics? Maybe you could use the sunflower ones on their own as cushion covers? Wow 9' square - do you have a long arm or will you have it sent out to be quilted? I would NEVER attempt to quilt something that size! :oops: :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh--k3n--not 9'-that was 9 blocks by 9 blocks! :D 8 by 8 blocks will make it 56" each way--and I thought it should be bigger. I love your binding ideas!!

Oh--it's to the long arm master for me for anything bigger than a wall hanging or baby quilt!! I hope to have 4-5 tops to take her by the end of summer. I'm giving Quail Summit a little quilt show on Aug 9th, so I'll hang on to the tops for that.

Kennedy (my barn buddy) and I are visiting our two favorite quilt shops today to pick up more fabric for a Triple Irish Chain...then I'll work on those log cabin squares when I get back!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh--k3n--not 9'-that was 9 blocks by 9 blocks! :D 8 by 8 blocks will make it 56" each way--and I thought it should be bigger. I love your binding ideas!!
    :oops: Misunderstood you!

BUT isn't 9 x 8 = 72? :wink: :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    :lol: The squares are 7.5" so will finish at 7", so if it's 8 blocks square--56" square. Kind of short. That's why I wanted to add some on all sides... it still needs to be square for that design though--I'll stop fighting that concept. :wink:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    :lol: The squares are 7.5" so will finish at 7", so if it's 8 blocks square--56" square. Kind of short. That's why I wanted to add some on all sides... it still needs to be square for that design though--I'll stop fighting that concept. :wink:
    :lol: :oops: Misunderstood you AGAIN! Thought the blocks were 8" x 8" - duhhh, oh well, we got there in the end!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Okay--now that we're on the same page--come up with what to do with the next round of blocks to make it look pretty--eh?

I'm off to pick up Kennedy!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Well for starters, I'd finish off the points of the four big squares, but I don't know what else. Could you show a layout of the full thing again with some options? Wish I had EQ6 - might have to put it on my Christmas list...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Final decision. I played with adding an outer row and I like it. Now I just have to sew this baby together, then figure out if it should have a border, and if yes, if I have fabric suitable for a border.

I can start sewing Thursday.... busy days ahead. Quail Summit is coming for their horse show! :D

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...loralfinal.jpg[/img]

k3n
    Blog Entries
    It's perfect - I LOVE it! :D

Karla, It turned out great. I really like this one. Thanks for sharing.

OOOOOH! I like that last one a lot! Start sewing, girl!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And--I didn't care if it actually happened--but no two of the same fabrics touch each other. :D

I think it's absolutely awesome!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2