Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ6: question about colouring designs >

EQ6: question about colouring designs

EQ6: question about colouring designs

Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM

I have had EQ6 for a year or so, and in general I'm pretty happy with it. But I'm finding one thing very frustrating, and I haven't been able to figure out if I'm missing something.

Sometimes, when designing a quilt I want to do something with a specific set of blocks (match colouring, or rotate, for example). I know that Ctrl lets me repeat the action in all blocks. And Alt lets me do alternate blocks. But I can't find a way to do, for example every 4th block (in a quilt where every block is rotated 90 degrees from it's neighbor). Or pick a set of blocks and act on them.

Is it possible to do? I'd really like to select a number of blocks (using ctrl-click for example) and colour them as a set.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

iv'e not found it
Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure, if there is an easier way. But you can create the same block with different color schemes and add it to the block library. Then just add the different colored block into the quilt, where desired.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM

That's a good idea. But I have yet to figure out how to edit an existing block design. Can you help me there? Any time I go to "work on block" from a quilt, it has my last block design, and I can't see how to "import" a block to tweak the design.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Open the Sketchbook, click on "Blocks," select the block you want to work on and click "Edit." The block will open in edit mode - just click on the "Color" tab at the bottom and you can change colors. :)
Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Open the Sketchbook, click on "Blocks," select the block you want to work on and click "Edit." The block will open in edit mode - just click on the "Color" tab at the bottom and you can change colors. :)
I feel like an idiot. I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to select "edit" on a block. *Finally* got it. Thanks very much - this is exactly what I was looking for (at least for one of my many problems :)

For anyone else as brain-dead as me, "Open the Sketchbook" means click on the "View Sketchbook" button on the toolbar at the top. Then, switch to "blocks" rather than "quilts" and pick the one you want.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Oh dear, I'm sorry! :oops: I should have written more clearly. This is kind of a tricky program to get the hang of - it's not very intuitive at all and it doesn't help if people don't explain properly.

I'm no expert with this program at all, but I will help with anything I know about and I think anyone else would, too so ask whatever you want to.

One thing that really helped me was I bought the book by Angie Padilla about Drawing Applique and I followed the lessons in the book. I couldn't believe how much I learned from doing the lessons - even stuff that wasn't directly related to drawing applique.

Also be sure to look at the "How Do I?" sections under the Help link - there is a vast amount of info there and it is full of screen captures of the various steps.