Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ6 -  pros and cons? >

EQ6 - pros and cons?

EQ6 - pros and cons?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 AM

I have had EQ 4, 5 & 6.
Don't use it a great deal, but it is fun & not too hard to learn if you know basic computing.
My biggest gripe is the fact that with EQ6 you can only put it on 3 computers, & then it will no longer download.
Luckily, I wasn't too fast at putting it on a computer, as both the desktop & laptop that I had at that time crashed. That would have been 2 downloads.
I put it on my replacement laptop only, - & that recently crashed! That would have been my 3 & last, - meaning that I would no longer be able to use the program I had paid $150 for.
At present it is not on either of my computers, & I am wondering if I can put it on a USB flash drive & use it from that. I seem to have become the queen of computer crashes.
My pfaff embroidery software has a usb dongle with it. You have to have the dongle inserted in order to use it. I thought that was a pest at the time, but I understand why they do this, - & now wish that EQ had gone the same route.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by harkness48
Luckily, I wasn't too fast at putting it on a computer, as both the desktop & laptop that I had at that time crashed. That would have been 2 downloads.
I put it on my replacement laptop only, - & that recently crashed! That would have been my 3 & last, - meaning that I would no longer be able to use the program I had paid $150 for.
EQ does limit installations to 4 times to help protect them against piracy and copyright issues. They feel bad that they've had to do this, but alas, too many unscrupulous folks have copied their software for themselves and others.

You can call them and explain your crashes, they will work with you I'm told under certain circumstances (my paraphrase). I'm about to find out just how that works. I've had crashes in the last few years and have now met my limit of 4 installs, too. At worst, you may have to pay $35 for a new install. I suggest you give them a call and see what you can work out. I'll report back how it goes for me, too. Best of luck to you!!

I did just read this on their site, looks like we may be able to reinstall on a same computer. I'll give it a try later today and let you know.

About Activation

If EQ6 only has four activations, does it take an activation each time I have to reinstall the program?
Once you install EQ6 on a computer, reinstalling on that same computer is not considered an activation, unless you change the computer considerably, such as getting a new hard drive. This means under normal situations you can install and reinstall continuously on the same computer.

When you purchase software, most or at least some software only allow you to legally install on one computer. So if you have a PC and a laptop, that would require two separately purchased and registered copies to be legal. Is that true for EQ as well?
We allow more installation possibilities. We realize you may have a desktop, a laptop, a computer at work, and possibly one at another home, and want to install EQ6 on all of them. This does not break copyright law, since you are the only one using EQ6 on these computers. But there are only 4 activations possible. If you bought a new computer and have already used 4 activations, you would not be able to install again.[b]
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks quiltgranny,
I am still OK, as I have only put it on one computer so far. When mine crash, they never come back, - so the fact that they will allow many downloads onto the same computer wouldn't help.
I am going to try putting it on my external drive, & use it from there if that works, or maybe a flash drive, which would be more convenient to move it from desktop to laptop. Still thinking about it, - will wait for my techy son to visit & get hands on consultation. That's called kid pay back time, he he.
And yes, I know why they did it, but I would have prefered a dongle, - I haven't managed to lose my pfaff one in over 6 yrs, but in that time have crashed 5 computers! Wow, that makes me feel like the queen of crash!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
As for cost. It's $149 new at Amazon and jhittle has it on sale every so often for less. Watch the sewing group sales such as SewitsForSale and Quilters Flea Market. There are some great buys on those. Many people buy and then decide they don't use it or need fast cash.
Thanks. That is good to know.
Watch out buying EQ6 used - it may not have any installations left if the seller has already installed it 4 times!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:55 AM

I have had the EQ 6 for about 2 weeks and within 30 min, I was able to design anything I wanted. It's similar to a CAD design software. I feel that it is worth the money and the price is within reason when you think that designer Engineer software cost several thousand of dollars.
I think it has help me from making lots of mistakes as you can change the colors around and the setting of the blocks. I used to make a sample block to be sure what it would look like. Now with in a few min., I can see what it will look like.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by hokieappmom
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
As for cost. It's $149 new at Amazon and jhittle has it on sale every so often for less. Watch the sewing group sales such as SewitsForSale and Quilters Flea Market. There are some great buys on those. Many people buy and then decide they don't use it or need fast cash.
Thanks. That is good to know.
Watch out buying EQ6 used - it may not have any installations left if the seller has already installed it 4 times!
Good point Joanne. Thanks. I just found out from my Bernina dealer that the new version 6 software has quilt design included. I don't plan on upgrading to V6 right away, but will check out what it does and decide if I'd even need EQ6. I'll check my V5 tonight to see if it has any quilt design appllications. Maybe someone here already knows about that. I do appreciate all the input!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM

It is my understanding that when you put the EQ6 on a computer it is counted as one install. if the computer crashes and you don't change anything out like hard drive, etc, only fix it. You can re-install on the same computer and it doesn't use an install. You can check with EQ about this. Also, if you do use all 4 of your installs, you can pay $40 and get additional install.
If you are buying a used software package, ask for the #, call EQ and they will tell you how many installs are left.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM

It worked!! YES, you can install more than 4 times on the SAME computer. I wonder, does anyone know if this is a relatively new policy, or maybe I've been under the wrong assumption all along? I thought 4 installations meant 4, regardless on which or how many different computers. Here, I've been without mine for a few months since I had to reformat my hard drive a while back and I thought I was going to have to call them and beg for another install.

I'm SO glad this topic was brought up today! I now have my EQ 6 back on my computer and am happy as a clam. No, I didn't think to just try it before, lol. I was so convinced that I wouldn't be able to re-install it (w/o a phone call), that I just didn't bother. I'm doing the happy dance now. Thanks again!! :D
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any of the stand alone software packages from EQ? Supposedly there are a few including 30s applique and the Dear Jane. I thought I'd purchase one of those first and see how I did with it before committing to the more expensive EQ6.

If I do get it, I'd like to be able to pull from the stand alones I've purchased.

Any problems with them during use or in combination with other EQ6 or hardware issues?
Do you use it regularly on various projects or just for a specific quilt and move on?
Thanks so much, RETRO
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Watch out buying EQ6 used - it may not have any installations left if the seller has already installed it 4 times![/quote]

Thanks for posting this warning. I have heard the same from other online quilting groups. Several no longer allow used EQ software posts since members have been ripped off.