Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 boxed vs download >

EQ7 boxed vs download

EQ7 boxed vs download

Old 12-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Default Eq-7

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You get the book and I don't think you get that when you download the program. Stay away from EQ6. I have been told by others on this board it has a lot of problems. I jumped from EQ5 to EQ7. If I am quilting, I have used EQ7 to resize or some changes with the project I am working on.
I have a question can you just jump in with EQ7 without having any of the others before this one.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day View Post
I have a question can you just jump in with EQ7 without having any of the others before this one.
Yes.

I had 6 and 7, no problems with either one. The only thing I can think of with 6 that might have been perceived as a problem was you were only allowed a certain number of activations of the software. If you went over that number, you had to call the company to override. They changed that on 7 and it's no longer an issue.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 AM

Timely question as Ii received my boxed EQ7 just yesterday! I will probably not get to play with it until after Christmas. though. There's no problem or those who do not have a disc drive because it came on a thumb drive - no disc.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Like you I need to have the real thing close by
#1 reason it's nice to actually have something to show for the $s spent, and #2 the program and serial no's are there in case one has computer crashes, and these things dissappear. It has happened to me, and it's a real pain to have to contact companies to download again, especially if one need passwords.
You can put any program that you have legally purchased onto a thumb drive or a CD, so you have a back up.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:05 PM

I've used Electric Quilt since EQ2 and have never had a single problem (except for me!!)). I am up to EQ7 and have loved each one. EQ6 was a tremendous upgrade from Version 5 which I thou was pretty good. But 6 was fabulous!!! And 7 is even better. I had one simple goof (mine) years ago and had to call them. What great customer,ear service and Penny McMorris even takes the calls many times. Pretty good for a company owner!

Oh, and for the laptop s without cd/DVD drives - yep, helps to make them lighter and thinner (see the MacAir). But they always have USB ports and you can plug in an exterior DVD drive, even a floppy drive with no problem. I so need (ok, want) a new lighter laptop. Mine feels like iron when I pick it up compared to my iPad Air2!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 12-15-2015, 06:00 PM

I began using EQwith version 7.

Whether you get the download or the box . . .both come with a downloadable book. They don't ship with a hard copy anymore.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:55 AM

Do you see any problems buying an older version? So I know that EQ7 seems fantastic but it costs over $100 more than a used version of EQ6. I see the intro program called Quilt Design Wizard for $30 but I can get a used EQ6 just for a few dollars more. I know that EQ7 is bigger better, but if you were just starting with this program would you pick a used EQ6 or Design Wizard?

I'm hoping that I'm not taking the thread too far off topic, thanks for the thoughts.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
I began using EQwith version 7.

Whether you get the download or the box . . .both come with a downloadable book. They don't ship with a hard copy anymore.

Ok dumb question....no hard copy of manual available...downloadable only....so does that mean the owner then would have to print out the book to have a hard copy...how many pages/how much ink?..I know one could just use computer as " the manual", but, I know myself, I tend to make personal notes/flags in manuals, mags, patterns. ..I have eq5 and that manual has many of my love notes to self in it.....oh well, progress.......
Old 12-22-2015, 05:55 AM

For the amount of money you pay you should not have to spend more money on ink and paper in my opinion. I know this is the way of the world on all electronic devices but I don't like it!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 AM

i always feel better to have saved a copy of downloadable software to a hard drive in case of computer gremlins.
the online maunal seems to be the new way of all things software but for eq7 it would be well worth printing out. the eq manual has been a very good learning tool.