Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!

Blog Entries

EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!

Having struggled to learn EQ7 for five years before finally figuring out the basics, I figure this could be a good place for people like me to ask questions, get answers, and post user tips. If you have EQ software sitting idle because you are frustrated with it, ask some questions here!

I am thrilled to finally be able to create some quilts in EQ7. What really jump-started me (after 5 years of getting mostly nowhere) was a free video tutorial series by Kari Schell called "Catch the Waves":
    https://www.onpointquilter.com/blog/...-quilt-newbies

She also has a blog with short video tutorials in her archives: https://www.onpointquilter.com/ . I found her Irish Chain quilt helpful: https://www.onpointquilter.com/blog/double-irish-chain

Thank you Prism99.
    I went to the link you suggested and found an Irish Chain lesson for EQ8. Finally I found out how to add my applique designs to blocks that I have created. So easy and yet I was always missing that one important step, click the serendipity button and there was the merge block function.
    The first tip and already I have a big frustration resolved.

Blog Entries
    So glad it helped!

Blog Entries
    You all have my interest piqued, I never considered buying the software before...but I also have a lot of unfinished things I've just 'winged', lol. So, basic question, I see it says you can 'design your own' but how flexible Is that? What I'd like to do is use some fabric I have (several years OOP) which contains both rectangular panels and smaller pieces I would complete in a square. Could I customize my design to use the dimensions of the pieces I have? Do the 'squares' all need to be the same size when drawn?
    TIA!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2018 at 04:03 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Thanks for this thread. I have EQ7 and have never taken the time to learn it. I tried to learn when I first got it, even bought a book to help. But it seemed there was just so many "things" that had to be done/remembered that I never got the hang of it. I "tried" to make it a resolution last year but you know how those resolutions go. Anyway, my question is: I understand that EQ8 is much easier to use (so the promos say), and EQ7 has so many steps to get something accomplished....the layers, so many buttons to choose, etc. Would upgrading to EQ8 eliminate some of those steps, buttons, layers, etc.? Is it more intuitive? Is it really easier to use?
    Thanks for any input. I do know I need to spend some quality time with the program and the instructions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
    ... So, basic question, I see it says you can 'design your own' but how flexible Is that? What I'd like to do is use some fabric I have (several years OOP) which contains both rectangular panels and smaller pieces I would complete in a square. Could I customize my design to use the dimensions of the pieces I have? Do the 'squares' all need to be the same size when drawn?
    TIA!
    it is very flexible, but the more complicated patterns may be tricky. that's why a thread like this is a good idea. yes, if you have pieces, you can design that specific size. no, they don't need to be the same size, the squares can vary to anything you desire.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Cheshirepat, there is an easy to follow, step by step lesson in the on board lessons that tells you how to make a custom quilt(much easier in 8 than 7). You can design the blocks in any size combination you want. I have made quilts from designs I created this way. it is was really helpful.
    I think you can also photograph your fabric and use it in your block design but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
    Murphy224, there was a bit of discussion on this when they first offered the upgrade. I found it much easier to find things but not everyone did. Most things are easier to find instead of buried in menus and functions that are down a level are under more obvious spots. I haven't even got through the lessons yet and have found pretty well everything I have thought I wanted to use. If you go to EQ ,product support, EQ8 and look up videos, there are some basic intros to some features. You could see what the new version looks like and if it seems helpful to you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you QuiltnNan and coffeecozy! So, I happened across an email this morning from Massdrop and guess what product they have a drop for? Yes! EQ8! And the price was $179! I guess it sent me over the commitment edge...heh. Not affiliated, but I've gotten a few decent things via that website/program.
    I'm going to have to replace my ancient PC so, this lower price is just really helpful right now. I'll jump over to take a look at the board lessons, thanks so much!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: remove link to site that requires sign up
    *this space for rent*

Cheshirepat if you subscribe to the EQ newsletter you will also get a new lesson every month. They are very helpful. There is also a download for a free set of new fabrics to add to your software.

Coffeecozy: Thanks for the links. I must have been dozing when those discussions were happening. I think for now I will stick with EQ7 and try again to learn it. I also was dozing when EQ8 was released, missed that too. It will cost me 99 dollars to upgrade and I just can't justify that expense right now. Maybe if I get a good handle on 7 then will look into it. Will continue to follow this thread.
    Murphy

I have EQ 6. Never upgraded to 7, because it didn't seem to offer very much in the way of new features I would use. I wonder now if 8 would be a good step up for me. Usability isn't an issue for me with EQ6 (ie EQ8 is going to frustrate me somewhat simply because it changes the way things I already understand work - but I can live with that if I get a bonus from it). I am out of installs for EQ6, so likely have to upgrade before I update my computer again anyway.

So, questions. This is what I find difficult/impossible in EQ6 -can I do it in EQ8?

1. designing an "alternate gridwork" quilt - where the blocks don't necessarily fall into rows or columns.
    2. "one block" quilts - like hexagons and diamonds in particular. EQ6 doesn't let me rotate my diamonds freely - so I could not figure out how to design a baby block quilt, without using triangles and colouring my diamonds in 2 parts
    3. a pieced lemoyne (8-pointed) star. EQ6 seems to force me to be in the template mode, rather than easydraw to work with a star grid in my block design.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I have a question about borders in EQ7. I am putting this chain link quilt into my EQ7 (the one hanging in the background):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msotUmzL-90

I had no trouble creating the blocks and layout. I added 3 borders. What I haven't figured out is how to add the square blocks in the middle border.

On a different note, I'm pretty sure there is a "randomize" option somewhere that will color all the pieces in the quilt scrappy. Or am I imagining this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    ...On a different note, I'm pretty sure there is a "randomize" option somewhere that will color all the pieces in the quilt scrappy. Or am I imagining this?
    I would love to know if we have this!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I did find a "randomize" button for both EQ7 and EQ8, but it doesn't work the way I thought it would. Here is a link that describes it: http://doyoueq.com/blog/2015/03/tool...-recolor-tool/

And apparently there is no way to generate a scrappy look, at least as of 2014:
    http://doyoueq.com/forum/viewtopic.p...t=scappy#p7806
    I don't understand why this would be so difficult. The program could assign numbers to a set of fabrics or colors, then use a random number generator to distribute them through the quilt. Undoubtedly, this is harder to do than I am imagining.....

I think I did figure out how to add blocks to the middle border of my quilt above. The chain link blocks are 7x7. I will just make a block that is 7x1, color alternate squares in it, and then set it into the middle border. Maybe tonight.....

Edit: Nope. Just tried the 7x1 idea. Looks like I will have to make a block that is 1 x (7 x # of blocks in quilt) to fill in the entire border. Guess that wouldn't be too hard to do.....
    Last edited by Prism99; 03-15-2018 at 02:24 PM.

I think I did figure out how to add blocks to the middle border of my quilt above. The chain link blocks are 7x7. I will just make a block that is 7x1, color alternate squares in it, and then set it into the middle border. Maybe tonight.....

Edit: Nope. Just tried the 7x1 idea. Looks like I will have to make a block that is 1 x (7 x # of blocks in quilt) to fill in the entire border. Guess that wouldn't be too hard to do.....
    Why would you not just make the center border "blocks" (that's an option in EQ6, anyway). You set the width of the border you want, and the number of squares. Then colour each one in the alternating colourway.

Prism99, would the tile square option work for what you are doing?

Okay, I have a question about borders in EQ7. I am putting this chain link quilt into my EQ7 (the one hanging in the background):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msotUmzL-90

I had no trouble creating the blocks and layout. I added 3 borders. What I haven't figured out is how to add the square blocks in the middle border.
    Are you in EQ7 or EQ8? I think I understand what you are looking for - hopefully this is it!

In both, on the Border tab, there is an option for "Spaced Squares" With some quick calculations you can determine how many squares you need. In 7, the option is a drop down on the right while in 8, it is on the top tab
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Eparys, thanks!!! Spaced squares worked and was a lot less work than my idea. I tried blocks and tiled squares, but couldn't get them to work quite right. Tiles added a spacer border to make it fit. Blocks I have to fool around with more to figure out what exactly it is doing. Spaced squares worked right away.

I thought I had tried all the options, but I did not realize there were additional options with some of them. Another hurdle behind me!

EQ I know - lol! Glad I could help. There are still lots of specialized things I am not great at but the usual blocks, borders and such I use all the time. Love the quilt you gave the link to - can not wait to see it worked up!
    Betty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post

... I am out of installs for EQ6, so likely have to upgrade before I update my computer again anyway.

So, questions. This is what I find difficult/impossible in EQ6 -can I do it in EQ8?
    just about everything is different in EQ8. i wouldn't say it's not good. i will only say i don't particularly enjoy it compared to 6 or 7.
    i still have 7 installed as well because EQStitch does not work with EQ 8. Really? [mumble, mumble, words not fit for polite company.]

if you are out of installs for EQ6, call EQ tech support. they can help with that and almost certainly will.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    i still have 7 installed as well because EQStitch does not work with EQ 8. Really? [mumble, mumble, words not fit for polite company.]
    I too still have 7 installed as I am not totally sold on 8 yet. EQ8 is just too awkward on some screens to use smoothly. But I can not believe that Stitch is not compatible! What were they thinking??
    Betty

I have EQ 7. I have a call for Farmers Wife Quilt that is supposed to be compatible with 5 and 6. Is there any way to get it to work in EQ7?

Blog Entries
    nursie, I think this is the information you need:
    https://support.electricquilt.com/ar...eq7-pc-or-mac/

nursie, I think this is the information you need:
    https://support.electricquilt.com/ar...eq7-pc-or-mac/
    Wow! Thanks so much!! I thought I might have lost the opportunity to pick up with this quilt again.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

Thank you, Prism99, for this great thread! I just bought EQ8 and have played around with it a bit, but I need some lessons! I've watched the overview from OnPointQuilter, but I'm wondering if the book "EQ8 Lessons for Beginners" might be sufficient (it's less expensive)? Have you seen the book and would you recommend it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast